Chapter 6

~||~
(Y/N)'s POV
"Can we talk about this?"

That was the next thing I'd heard come out of Kate's mouth. Talk about what? As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to talk about, really. She's moved on with Yelena, and I just have to move too. I don't know why I never bothered to do that earlier.

"About what, exactly?" I ask her. "About this." she says, erratically pointing at her and I. "There's nothing to talk about, Kate. Believe me, I know." I tell her. We continue to walk slowly down the roads, making sure we don't wander off too far. "Well, then you clearly don't know." she says, catching up to me.

"Oh, I think I've seen enough to know, thank you very much." I tell her. "(Y/N), please." she says. She then gently grabs my hand. "We have to go back to the others, don't you think?" I tell her. She then looks at Clint, Laura and Yelena walking out with the kids. She breathes heavily, then nods. "We're talking about this later." she says pointing at me. "No, I don't think so." I tell her, too hurt to even look at her.

"Hey, you guys are back. And just in time too — we've got enchiladas!" says Clint, waving two takeaways in front of us. "I'm not hungry." I say, getting into the car. "But you're always hungry." says Clint. "Well, I'm not right now. You can have it if you want." I tell him, plugging my earphones in. I mean, I was starving, but I still had to make my point.

"Okay, then." she says, awkwardly getting into the car. He then looks at Kate through the rear view mirror. "Kate, may I speak with you for — just a second?" he says. She look up at him, nods and within a minute, they're both outside the car.

I wanted to hear what they were saying, so I took out an earpiece, making sure it was in top shape and it luckily was. I place it near the window to over hear their conversation.

Clint's POV
Okay, that's it! I've had enough. Kate hasn't even been here for a day and her and (Y/N) already have problems. I've got to admit I do feel bad for these kids, but this is too much. They're both clearly hurting. I'm guessing the breakup didn't go well. Whatever it was, I might as well get some clear answers.

"Okay, what'd you guys talk about?" I ask her. Kate looked confused. "What'd you do to upset her?" I ask her. She then protests, "I haven't done anything. I just asked to talk about what happened last night and this morning." she tells me. I then turn to her, "What happened last night?" I ask her.

"Remember when you asked (Y/N) to lead me to my room?" she recalls. I nod, "Well, we may have shared a kiss." she says. "Why would you do that?" I ask her, putting my hands on my head. "It just happened, okay?" she said, "So it's true, isn't it? Exes can't be friends." I then say, not realizing that I'd called her (Y/N)'s ex.

"How'd you know about that?" she asks. I give in, "I overheard Nat and (Y/N) talk about it a few years back." I tell her. "Well, not creepy — at all." she says. "Okay, okay. This isn't about me, Kate." I tell her. "So let me get this straight, you kissed her last night. She finds out that you slept with her best friend's sister. Then comes to find out that you're dating her in the morning. Correct?" I confirm. She sheepishly nods.

"Well, no wonder she's upset." I tell her. "I don't know what to do. I mean, she's still very important to me, y'know." she tells me. "I feel you, Kate." I tell her, resonating with her pain. They clearly had something special. She looks back at the car, where (Y/N) is seated quite too comfortably.

Of course, I wasn't born yesterday. This sneaky devil has been listening in on our conversation. "We'll talk later, let's get in the car." I tell her. She nods and gets into the car. She sits next to (Y/N), who either doesn't notice or just doesn't wanna interact. I'm guessing it's both.

Kate's POV
I sat next to (Y/N) again as I got back into the car. I know we haven't talked in a while like that, but even I know when she gets upset still. Her face was flushed and her hand was shaken. I couldn't stand it. How could I have done this to the love of my life?

Shit. Did I just say that? Well, maybe I did. Who cares? It doesn't change the fact that it's true. She really is the love of my life. I don't know what was going on with me that I couldn't see that. As I was getting ready to talk to her, I felt a hand grasp my arm. I turn to see Yelena smile and give me a kiss.

     "Okay, lower the PDA in front of the kids." said Laura, as she smiled through the mirror. Dammit, Yelena. As soon as she heard what was going on, (Y/N) looked up at me and Yelena, to which she quickly look away, getting back to her phone. Dang, not even an eye roll? I gotta be at least worth that.

     "Kate, what time is it?" asked Clint as he backed out of the parking space. "Oh, it's 5:30." I said after looking at my watch. "Already?" he asked surprised. To be honest, I was surprised myself. Time really did go by. "Well — yeah." I said to him. He gives a look of surprise, then nods and starts to drive.

     We continue driving for almost an hour until we get to the party. Before we get out, however, Clint first tells the kids to stay behind. He tells the rest of us to wait outside the car so we could enter together. (Y/N) starts to shake a little. I notice it and continue to watch carefully as I had been worried. The shaking continued.

     "Hey, you good?" I asked her. She took off walking into the car, where Clint was. Clint seemed to ask her what the problem was, and she told him. He looks at her with eyes of sympathy before handing her something and another thing that looked like water. She collects them, consuming both things that I now suspected were pills and water.

Is she okay? My heart starts to fear the worst when Clint then takes her towards the back of the building. What's going on? I quietly sneak away from Yelena, Laura and the kids to see what Clint and (Y/N) were up to. I went to the back of the building where they were and snuck in a peak of what they were doing.

(Y/N) was kneeling down, trying hard to catch her breath. Clint was right next to her, gently rubbing her back while giving her space. "It's okay, you'll be okay. You're strong, fight!" he said, not in a mean way, but rather soothing. (Y/N) violently shakes her head, "I can't! I just can't do it anymore!" she huffed as she grasped her chest.

I thought of staying behind so they wouldn't know that I was spying on them. But for the love of God, she's having a panic attack and I care about her. If anything — I love her. I come out of my hiding place, "(Y/N)?" I call out as I ran up to her.

                                           ~||~

~||~