(14) 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 ✓

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

"WHEN I FIRST LEARNED ABOUT YOUR FATHER, around the time that he and Jocelyn first got together, long before the uprising and the circle, Valentine elevated the Morgenstern name to be synonymous with virtue and your mother was at his side." Magnus begins to explain to Clary who was listening very intently to every word, nodding her head. Adelaide was also listening, wanting to hear it as well as Magnus didn't often talk about Valentine. "By the time my people got to know him, barely two years later, his name had become synonymous with devastation. Your mother first told me it was then she first saw the signs." He states as he looks at Clary who's eyes widen lightly. Magnus sighs, shaking his head a little. "They never found all the bodies. We'd all stood with the clave for centuries." Magnus tells them and Clary scoffs, her jaw clenching lightly as she realized what a true monster her father was.

"How could that not matter to him?" Clary asks as he didn't understand how Valentine could be so cold-hearted and murder innocent people like it was nothing.

"He was obsessed with ensuring purity of blood. Convinced that the impurities were a threat to peace." Magnus explains to her and this was just ironic to her. She shakes her head, staring blankly in front of her.

"He was the threat to peace." She mutters as she fiddles with her fingers. Magnus sighs, nodding his head.

"Mad men rarely make sense. Mostly they just hate. And he hated the downworlders for the gifts that we possess that he could not have." Magnus says, knowing that Valentine was jealous that he could never have the power that downworlders had. And for that he wanted to kill them all.

"If he thinks all downworlders are bad.. why would he keep me around? I'm half downworlder." Adelaide states as it wasn't news to Valentine that she was a warlock but why kill every single warlock except for her. It made no sense.

"You're half angel." Magnus corrects but truly, he didn't know the reason why Valentine had decided not to kill her. "He hated us enough to kill us all." Magnus states as he clenches his jaw, feeling the anger build up inside of his body. Adelaide only shakes her head, furrowing her eyebrows a little bit.

"I don't understand. My mom was half demon.. and yet she sided with Valentine." Adelaide didn't understand her mother's motives. Although Valentine hadn't known, why would she willingly risk being around him and him finding out?

"A lot of people joined his side because of fear.. and with her being half demon.. she probably thought it would protect her secret from getting out." Magnus suggests but Adelaide knew something else had to be the answer.