Oil & Menthols

Hello, I just want to explain that this isn't a "normal" Destiel one-shot. I don't even know if I can call it that.

The other day I had this idea of a one-shot with mechanic!Dean and clerk!Cas, so I started writing it but somehow it got huge *nervously laughs* so I thought: Hey, maybe I could turn this into an actual story. But I don't know if it is THAT good.

So, I'll post what is supposed to be the first chapter here and maybe you could tell me what you think of it, yes?

It doesn't really has Destiel in here, just the introduction of the characters and of their lives, but I really hope to make it soon - if this story goes on.

Ok, enough blabbing. Here, take it, and I hope you like it! :)

*-*-*-*

[Dean]

Some people define happiness in materialistic affairs such as money, fame, a grand three-stored house with a pool and barbecue, a fancy and extremely expensive car and an elegant and opulent young lover. In other words, and in a very ironic manner, based on illusions of a poisonous life teemed with greed, avarice and envy towards others. Whatever the case may be, none of those things truly matter to our survival, however, the world keeps running after them like a petty preposterous mouse in a deadly maze.

Dean Winchester never was an example of that. Of course, he was no saint, he, once in a while, would lust over something or someone, yet he never had selfish unrealistic life goals. He knows what real happiness is or, leastwise, he tries to reach it in the small joys of living. It is not of his interest to have a mansion with long green yards with a gigantic new pool, a Jacuzzi, or a vast company who employs thousands of people who make him wealthier one week after another; quite the contrary! His life couldn't be simpler: a modest apartment, with cracked walls, a barely existing kitchen and a cold shower, downtown and a humble family business alongside his uncle Bobby, while his brother studies Law at Stanford. Apart from that, at weekends, he hangs out with his best friend, Charlie, and, during the week, he is a mechanic; simple enough to be gleeful without many concerns.

-

The sun isn't even showing the first signs of coming and the entire block where he lives is still involved in the silence of the dawn of the day, when 'Carry On My Wayward Son' welcomes Dean to a new day of work. Instead of turn it off or mute it, he leaves it there playing, and as the first instrumental hits, Dean, with a sloppy move, gets out of bed and plays air guitar, jamming his favorite song all the way to the kitchen to prepare his morning coffee. While he waits for it to get ready he lazily cleans the rest of the kitchen, he was too tired the night before to do so, and puts the dishes into the dishwasher. A pack of letters is waiting for him to open them, but the sleepiness and the indisposition to deal with more bills makes him do the decision of ignoring them, so he simply pours some coffee into a mug and walks back to the living room leaning on the brown windowsill, absently scratching his left calve with his foot, enjoying the scenery of the desert beach at the very end of the panorama of his window.

He always loved that beach. Mostly because he spent all his summers since he could remember of existing lying on that warm and golden sand, looking up at the sky at the seagulls or making sand castles with his younger brother Sam, while his parents would sit beside them simply watching over them or laughing at something the other would say. When they were distracted, or for some other reason not with them, Dean would prank Sam by throwing sand at him or convincing him to eat it instead, and then John would admonish his older son for that but the sweet smile on his face always betrayed him and, the day after, Dean would keep doing the same. Howsoever, the best part would always be at the sunset time, when most of the beach was already empty and a soft breeze would sing along the waves crashing on the rocks and the seagulls crying in the sky. Sometimes, Mary would even take photos with the boys in the water or with John and after, when it was too cold for the kids to be there, they'd dinner at a small diner at the entrance of the beach.