Chapter 8

Light seeped through cracks in the blinds of a window. It was seemingly the only thing waking Herb. Speaking of Herb awake, he was indeed, and when coming to, he was ecstatic!!! He realized he didn't have a second nightmare! He was pumped!

He stopped in his tracks. He noticed the different environment, which took a second for him to process. He had to let out of small "oh..." as he realized where he was. But more importantly. Where was Sparkling? Work? Surly he would have told him, right? He decided to get up and look around.

Herb got out of the bed and walked towards the door. He exited and maneuvered through the hallway until he reached the kitchen. He was very relieved to see that Sparkling was indeed, still here.

Sparkling had around-the-house clothes on. Not to say lazy clothes but... definitely not his usual extravagant outfit he wore to work. He wondered what time it was, and if he just woke up early or sum.

Herb ruffled his hair as he walked towards Sparkling, and sat in a seat next to him. Sparkling was simply on his phone, but placed it down when Herb came over. "Good morning~!" He cooed.

Herb looked at the counter then to Sparkling. His phone was still there from last night. He disregarded that and responded to Sparkling, "g'morning" he sounded very tired, despite getting an adequate amount of sleep.

"Sleep better? Ya know, considering you slept in the same bed with someone as amazing as me?" He jokingly asked in a sarcastic tone. Herb smiled, rubbing his eyes. "I quite did, kind sir. How gracious of you." He used a thick English accent, then giggled.

Sparkling gave a weak chuckle, being taken off-guard again by Herb's giggle. (Gay panik lmao). He nervously looked away. Man, he was not doing okay... what was wrong with him?? He internally groaned at his annoying feelings.

Herb thought Sparkling looked distressed. For whatever reason, he just did. He wondered if had done something. Surely not. He only just woke up. But still, he was very confused.

Herb broke the silence, with a sarcastic question, "Sooo,,, is that what you're wearing to work?" Sparkling turned his head then smiled sheepishly, "Of course not!! I'm wearing multiple patterns, what a fashion sin! I wouldn't be caught dead in public with this atrocity on."

Herb covered his mouth as he tried not to laugh. He thought Sparkling was quite funny, even when he wasn't meaning to be. Sparkling continued on, "Besides.. I updated our page to say that, 'Today we are closed.' I didn't want me or you to worry about it, so I just closed it. Perks of being a self owned business: you can do whatever the fuck ya want!"

Herb smiled. He couldn't believe Sparkling did that for him! :D "Thanks for choosing to stay here with me..." he spoke a bit hesitantly. Sparkling patted him on the back, "No prob, man!" Herb kept a weak smile for a bit. Though, he hoped he wasn't being a huge burden on Sparkling's work life...

He picked up his phone from the counter. He turned it on and scrolled through the countless notifications. There were about 25 missed calls. All sporadic in nature. There were at least 2 for ever hour. But some hours had more than others for sure.

Herb didn't know what to do. Sparkling stayed by his side, but he didn't even have a clue what was happening. He really just wanted to talk about it with somebody. But Sparkling? Could he? He seemed to be supportive... he internally sighed. He wouldn't say everything, duh. But at least enough so Sparkling could give some insight on the issue.

Herb nervously chuckled as he turned to Sparkling.. "Okay,, so.. Can I talk to you about something." Sparkling looked a bit shocked, but nodded as he gained his composure. "oh yeah, sure. What's up?"

Herb sighed as he rubbed his arm, "Oh wow, uh okay... jeez" he wasn't sure why he even asked!! He sucked at talking about problems. Sparkling's brows tilted up to show some worry, "Ya know: you don't have to tell me." He explained

Herb nodded, "Yeah but... " Herb took a deep breath and let it out, "I think you should know... you've helped me a lot and I've been keeping you in the dark for too long: even if only a few days"

He scratched the back of his neck, starting to form a question "So.. You know fruitcake... you've met him at the bar, right?" Sparkling raised a brow but nodded, "Of course... what about him?"

Herb gulped. He felt the air get thinner and he struggled for air. He couldn't tell people. Why was this? He was so stuck on how to word it, or even jsut say it without being weird or "overly upset". His eyes started to dart around the room as he tried to look for something to keep his eyes occupied with.

Sparkling stayed silent for Herb, allowing him to speak without interruptions. Herb tore down the last wall of self doubt and finally decided to speak... It wasn't long, it wasn't even loud. It was quiet and meek to where Sparkling almost didn't hear it,
But, he spoke:

"Fruitcake is an abusive partner..."

DATE PUBLISHED: 4|1|22 (US FORM)