Chapter 3 - Disappointment

Start from the beginning

Emma's eyebrows rose, 'Oh?'

'I have found a buyer for the house.' James said, smiling widely.

'Really?'

'Yes,' said James, chuckling, 'A professor from London said he wants to turn the house into a school, isn't that marvelous!'

Emma laughed and she felt a wave of euphoria.

'Of course it is! Oh darling, I can't believe it!'

James leaned down and said in a low voice, 'Well believe it. I have already spoken to Robert first this morning. He was a little peeved, but he came around once I explained it.'

Emma nodded, 'Of course. And what did he say?'

'We know it's not enough to cover Downton's debt, but at least for a few more weeks, it's safe. We can stay in London until the baby is born, of course we would need to go there to decorate the nursery and I -'

Emma stared at her husband and felt like she was nineteen again, falling in love again. She had cut him off with a kiss. James placed both hands to hold her face then broke off the kiss when they heard someone cleared their throat.

Emma turned to see a light scowl on her father's face and Edith was holding onto Robert's arm, blushing.

'Oh, has it started?' James asked in amusement.

'James!' Emma scolded and she smiled apologetically and pulled James' hand as they walked inside the church and sat in between Violet and Sybil.

'How is Edith?' Violet whispered.

'Glowing with happiness.' Emma stated simply.

The organ began to play and the rest of the guests stood. Emma watched Edith beaming, guided by Robert, made her way down the aisle. Emma watched her sister in pride.

Once the organ stopped, Reverend Travis spoke the ceremonial words, 'Dearly beloved, we are gathered-'

'I can't do this.' Sir Anthony interrupted aloud.

Emma's mouth hung open in shock and she heard James gasp. Emma saw Edith's expression morphed from happiness to confusion.

'What?' Robert whispered.

Strallan looked down at Edith.

'I can't do it.' Strallan said.

Edith's smile faded then Strallan looked at Robert with a grave expression.

'You know it's wrong. You told me so yourself several times.'

'My dear chap.' Robert started.

'No. I never should have let it get this far. I should have stopped it long ago. I tried to stop it.'

'What are you saying?' Edith asked shakily. 'I don't understand what you're saying.'

'Edith...'

Strallan glanced at the guests who were staring in shock. Strallan turned back to Edith in a lower voice.

'Edith, I can't let you throw away your life like this.'

'What do you mean? We're so happy, aren't we?'

Edith took Strallan's hand.

'We're going to be...so terribly, terribly happy.' Edith said, her eyes were tearing up.

'But you are going to be happy. I pray that you are. But only if you don't waste yourself on me.'

Edith looked at Strallan, mortified.