How amazing would it be to live in a Ghibli movie?

Everything was great in those movies. They even made house chores look relaxing. Cleaning looked invigorating.

Reality could not be more different. Himeko didn't mind the house chores—they were a fact of life—yet she wouldn't miss them if she never had to do them again. She was grateful her father preferred a quiet life and a small house, in spite of his status and income. She couldn't imagine having to maintain anything bigger than what she grew up with. A few of her uncles lived in absurd luxury that made Himeko nervous whenever she visited. Even their tables looked more expensive than everything in Himeko's bedroom.

If Himeko were in a Ghibli movie she'd definitely live in a cottage far away from the city.

I wonder which one I'd want to live in? Howl's Moving Castle? Totoro? Cat's Return...? Maybe all of them?

Hitoka placed a meatball in Himeko's lunch, smiling as she did so. It drew Himeko's attention with its spicy-sweet smell. "Hehe. I know these are that good, but I hope you still like them!"

"Thank you!" Himeko beamed. "I'm sure I will. W-Would you, um, like some of my apple slices?"

"Yes please! I know cutting it into a rabbit doesn't magically change the flavor, but I swear it does taste better," Hitoka said earnestly as she plucked a rabbit-sliced apple from Himeko's bento.

Himeko tapped the tips of her chopsticks against her lips. "Yeah... You know those big fancy bentos you see on T.V. from Tokyo?"

"Ekiben?"

"Yeah! I've always wanted to make one but it's so much food."

Hitoko nodded. "Yeah. I don't think I could eat one by myself. But they look really pretty."

Himeko sighed longingly. "I bet the ones in Tokyo taste amazing."

"I wanna go to Tokyo."

"Me too."

They both sighed.

The Karasuno Boys' Volleyball Team always practiced in the same gym. It was a nice gym with polished wooden floors, a high ceiling, and all the equipment they could need. It was separate from the main school building, and it was smaller than the main gym. Only the boys' volleyball team used that gym, a right that was earned when the team won a national tournament a few years back. They were the only school team to make it to a national league, so the principle gave them exclusive rights to the gym.

There were other sports teams at Karasuno, but none of them really needed the gym as consistently. Mostly because the teams rarely practice. Or at least that was what Himeko heard second-hand from other students. The track and soccer teams were good about practicing every day, but neither needed a gym so it was a non-issue.

Himeko had checked out the track team, but their hours clashed with the boys' volleyball team so she chose not to pursue it.

That was fine. She'd find something else. She didn't want to rush it.

After the volleyball team had finished their warm-ups Mr. Takeda gathered everyone up. Himeko quite liked him. He had a kind, child-like face and always spoke softly. Because of his sincere, and sweet demeanor, he was easy to approach. Himeko was grateful someone like him was in charge of the boys' volleyball team. Better him than a drill sergeant!

 Better him than a drill sergeant!