Baker vs James- Chapter 2

In the locker room of SoFi stadium,  Spencer James was on his mat easing into child's pose, clearing his mind and preparing his body for the grueling day ahead of him. The rest of his team buzzed about. The excitement of the day is electric in the air. After 8 years the team had grown used to Spencer's pregame ritual and had seen the effects of his relaxed body and state of mind. Some of them even joined him. Today though everybody kept their distance knowing how tense he got on game days before his meditation.

Spencer's phone dinged in the distance causing him to ease out of his stance to check it.

Tunnel. 5 minutes

Spencer hopped up, wiped and put away his mat on his way out the locker room.

A few moments later he was approaching a familiar figure leaning up against the wall. "Funny running into you here." Spencer chuckled, preparing to embrace his best friend. Before anything more could be said Spencer snapped his head up at the sound of familiar laughter in the distance.

Olivia and Simone came dashing around the corner out of breath and looking slightly disheveled. "Hide! They are gaining on us!

Jordan shook his head at his wife and twin before making eye contact with Spencer who looked very amused at the sight. "Hey Spence, I have no idea what those two have gotten into now. Got anywhere we can hide our fugitives?"

"Smh now if we get caught and tossed out, Liv; There will be nobody to blame but yourselves.  And don't think that gets you out of the bet. You'll just pay the price together. Come on, there's an office right over here." Spencer snorted as he led the group to freedom. "You two act worse than all the kids combined." The women laughed and scampered past their husbands into the safety of the office.

"Now do I want to know why you two are acting like escaped convicts?" Spencer asked as he walked between Olivia's thighs after she sat down on a nearby desk. He reached out and toyed with one of the curls that had slipped out of her now lopsided bun. Already distracted by her bright mischievous smile.

Simone replied "You know the drill Spencer. You didn't really think we would miss this right?" as she tucked herself into Jordan's outstretched arms before wrapping them around her waist.

Since high school the young couples have had the same pre-game ritual. Each girl would arrive and sneak off to meet their boyfriend in the tunnels before the game. Very little changed when Simone left for Bringston. Anytime she was in town she would meet up with Olivia and sneak off to find the boys. Olivia almost never missed a game, other than the time she got caught jumping the fence at homecoming Sophomore year. Which resulted in her getting banned for the rest of the season. An event the group never let her live down.

"Well I am proud of you for making it all the way over the fence this time, baby." Spencer joked leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her pouting cheek. "Didn't even rip your pants this time."

"My question is, who were you running from?" Jordan quizzed down at Simone as he tried to pull her even closer into him.

"See what had happened was.." Olivia started to explain before being interrupted.

"The less we know the better." Spencer stated. "Plausible deniability man. You know we need it with these two." Spencer directed over at Jordan while coaxing his wife down from atop the desk into his lap.

Despite the passage of time the group had remained inseparable. Most friendships and relationships stalled through time and distance. However these four people were bonded for life. They had been there for each other through the highest of highs and lowest lows of life. There was nothing they couldn't face together.