Chapter Four

As I lay in bed, thinking about everything that's happened since Caroline came back, I sigh. It doesn't make since. I huff and sit up. I can't sleep like this. I stand up and slip on my flip-flops and a plaid, button-up shirt, over my shorts and tank top. I look at the clock and it reads 2:17 a.m. I cringe and tip-toe my door. I listen, making sure my mom is asleep, before walking over to my window, and climbing down the hanging flower pots. When I reach the ground I look up to the moon, and instantly feel at peace. But, I take off walking towards the park. When I get there I see the big "RATZ PARK" sign. I walk past it until I reach the creek. I take of my flip-flops and button-up shirt and sit them on a dry stone. I then jump into the creek and walk. I don't realize I'm by the woods until I hear voices. I stop and crouch low, listening in. "Are you sure it's her?"

"Positive."

...where have I heard that voice? I'm so engrossed in thinking, that I don't notice the two shadows emerging from the woods until they're walking right in front of me. I hold my breath and follow them with my eyes, but I still can't tell who they are. When I'm positive they're gone I take off running. I reach my flip flops and shirt and grab them without bothering to put them on. I don't stop running until I reach my house, and by then I'm panting. I throw on my shoes and shirt before climbing up the flowering pots and back into my room. I throw myself over the window sill and land on me feet, somehow with very little sound. I kick my shoes off and climb into bed, my brain going a thousand miles an hour. Who was that? I try to sleep but then it hits me... Lucas. But who was he talking about? Surely not me. I fall asleep confused and a little worried.