Aziraphale Makes Headway With Both School and Crowley, and is Hit With a Shock

Start from the beginning

Smiling, Aziraphale turns back to his own paper, and doesn’t look up again until time is officially up.

Now this is worth using the phrase, “ready for anything” on.

Today turned out to include a field trip to the Hotel de Rousch.

Dorian Fercot, their teacher for the day, tells the class,

“Today, we’ve brought you here to witness the role of a butler in a modern hotel. Later this evening, dignitaries from around the world will gather at the table behind me for a five course meal. Some have elected to bring their own staff, but others still have to rely on the hotel butler, who supervises all of it. Anything a guest needs, they meet it.”

Aziraphale, however, upon noticing Crowley is not in the group, slowly turns around and goes off in search of him.

Which ends up taking him all the way to the Botanische Tuin Kerkrade, where the demon appears to be conversing with the groundskeeper, until he seems to sense Aziraphale approaching,  and calls out,

“Angel! Come join us!”

Aziraphale complies hesitantly, as Crowley introduces him, “This is Hanneke Schreibner. He’s this garden’s curator!”

Aziraphale holds out a hand to be polite, “Hello.”

Schreibner takes it, shaking quickly, “Hello. And unfortunately, I must be going. A curator’s work is never done. My regards to Mr. Crowley, but it was very nice to meet you.”

And then he’s gone, leaving an angel and demon to talk amongst themselves.

But Crowley appears to have a different plan, as he gestures with one finger, “Follow me, angel.”

And once they’re somewhere more secluded, Crowley tells him excitedly, I can’t believe I actually got to meet him! His work on this place is the only thing that even comes close to my own!”

Aziraphale teases, “A demon, genuinely liking something, or someone? Unheard of!”

Crowley waves him off, “No, no, of course not!”, but then caves in the next breath, “So what if I am! But can you blame me? Look at what he’s done! It’s almost like he’s brought Eden to us!”

Aziraphale gets an idea, “Well, did you ask him if he’d take on a protege?”

Crowley scoffs, “Are you mad? Of course not! I’d never be that stupid!”

Aziraphale crosses his arms, challenging, “Oh? And why would that be?”

Crowley points vaguely in the direction Schreibner left in, “For one, I’m sure someone stupid enough to try would need an impressive resume just to even be considered. And for another, I already have a full time job that I can’t ever get fired from!”

Aziraphale adds, “Which is subject to relocation, should they see fit. Why not just ask?”

Crowley grunts in frustration, “Aziraphale, I don’t know the first thing about this kind of botany.”

 Aziraphale reminds him, “I’ve watched you work in the school gardens, and trust me, you know plenty. And how do you know it’s stupid unless you know for sure?”

“And…begin!”

Once more, Aziraphale is rushing through his table setting exam, but this time Crolwey is his partner, and the angel has to admit that might play a significant part in why this seems to be easier than the last one.