Page 25: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

He got up and got out a paper. The paper {Name} had on her body when she died. He hadn't opened it, too distracted by grief.

Maybe now was a good time to start. He opened it and saw some letters smudged. It was a letter, a letter for him...

Dear Kyojuro,

By the time you are reading this, I might've said I'm ready and you know how I can't express myself much due to my blunt attitude. All I want you to know is, I am ready. I am ready to call you my lover. And yes, marriage MAY be in the line but I just wanted to say that, there is no other man in the world I want to spent the rest of my time with than you.

I want to grow old with you and be by your side but I want to take these things slow, so by the time I gave you this, We might be in our 20's or something.

Thank you for being with me Kyojuro. Thank you for accepting me and willing to do everything for me. I know it was hard because of your morals but I admire how you are willing to drop those morals for someone you care about.

Also, can I at least get a favor? When we are ready, I can come to my family again! I'll tell them how you were the one that gave me the beautiful blossom branch pin or how you were the one that I spend my nights with.

You are amazing Rengoku Kyojuro! And there is nothing I will change about it. My father once said I must feel the flame inside my heart, but for you? I will say...

Set your heart ablaze Kyojuro Rengoku! You are strong! And, never change. No matter what tide comes to blow that fire out!

-Your partner, Kamado {Name}

Kyojuro let a tear escape towards the paper. He clutched it onto his chest and cried again.

'You were ready? No...You had a plan to be ready..'

"Kyojuro? You awake yet?"

His father's voice boomed on the other side of the door. Kyojuro couldn't even care and continued to cry.

Shinjuro opened the door and sighed in pity. He looked at his oldest son crying and clutching a piece of paper.

Shinjuro got deja vu on this scene, It was the same when he lost Ruka too..

He went to his son's side and patted his head while biting his lip. He was no stranger to this kind of grief. He had experience loosing the one he had whole hearted had loved.

Shinjuro cleared his throat.

"Look, I know I haven't been the best father and I am stupidly blunt onto comforting someone. But, I want you to know something. I want you to know that you aren't alone son. You have me and Shinjuro now. She will be watching over you alright? This doesn't mean that its the end, you still have a burden to do."

Kyojuro didn't respond. Shinjuro had taken this as a sign of wanting to be alone and the father obliged. He stood up and took a good look at his son once again.

"Your mother would've been proud of you Kyojuro...Both being a hashira.."

Kyojuro trailed off and turned his gaze.