chapter 2 | "hawkins"

I don't know how long I've been running for. The only thing I know is that if I don't get warmth soon I'll die.

I could barely feel my legs anymore. I was so cold.

I finally saw a building. A sign on the wall said: "аэропорт" (airport). It also had some huge, bird looking things next to it? I had no idea what those were.

I walked closer. One of the huge birds said: "российские авиалинии" (Russian airlines) on it.
Another said Lynx on it, and had a silver cat thingy as the logo. Weird.

I walked into the building. I got weird stares. Some people asked me if I needed help, and where I came from, but I always just answered: "позвольте мне быть, я в порядке" (let me be, I'm fine).

No wonder I got weird looks. I was wearing a hospital gown and I had no shoes or pants. It was snowing outside.

I walked out of the building, back to the big, flying metal birds. I decided to walk into the one that said "Lynx" on it with the silver cat, to warm up without getting strange looks.

I walked up on some strange type of stairs that led into the big bird.

I looked around. There were plenty of seats. I sat down on one.

"ты должен быть на этом самолете?", a woman came up to me and asked.

I pretended not to understand. Even though I knew Russian.

She obviously thought that I didn't know Russian, so she spoke in English instead.

"Hey sweetie, are you really supposed to be on this airplane?", she said in an American accent.

An airplane. That's what these are called.

"Yes", I said calmly.

She looked at me with a skeptical look, but she walked away. She was probably to get someone to pick me up, so I decided to hide.

I mean, I'm just a kid running around in only a hospital gown in the cold, snowy weather. What else was she gonna do?

I ran to find a place to hide. Found a small door. I fit just perfectly in there.

There were suitcases and bags in this very small room I'd found. I opened one.

Clothes.

I quickly put on a comfortable sweater and a pair of sweatpants. They were way too big, but I didn't care.

My hospital gown was still visible under the sweater.

Suddenly, the plane started shaking. I felt like we were moving very quickly.

I'm not that dumb, I obviously understood that we were in the air by now.

I put some heavy suitcases in my lap so I wouldn't hit my head in the ceiling.

My stomach grumbled. I was really hungry. I looked through some bags for food. Luckily, I found an apple and something called a "protein bar".

I quickly ate it. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing.

I'd never had a protein bar before. It was actually pretty good. It tasted sweet. The Russians had only fed me bad quality canned food, like soup and stews.

So this was really something extra.

Suddenly, I started to feel really, really tired. So I relaxed my head, and close my eyes.

•••

I woke up. I had absolutely no idea how long I'd been asleep.