5 - Eventful Escapes

Start from the beginning

Wait, there's Titan's blood in the key? I try my best not to let my reaction anywhere outside of my own head, and I can feel my heart racing. Not only could this cure Luz, but it could also help her get back to the human realm!

The Guard shrugs, and I notice he's drawn the key in the dirt. "Since I failed my last mission, I thought: 'Hey, a chance to make up for it!' But I can't go back empty handed." He laughs somewhat hysterically. I sense he needs to take his anger out on something and brace for another fight. Instead, he wipes out the drawing of the key and starts digging again. "Long story short, this is my grave. Want me to make you one too?"

"You need a therapist, not a grave, dumbass. Now come on, you have plenty of time to suffer at the hands of Eda and I, and I'll be damned if your face is the last one I see."

I pick the Guard up by the back of his shirt. He flails around for a few second before slumping to the ground. Ugh, this guy is such a sore loser.

Casting a quick Abomination spell that Amity taught me I start trudging through the caves, pulling the Guard along with my magic like one of those kids on leashes. It's not long before the cardinal palisman from earlier is back on the Guard's head, much to his dismay. And my amusement.

"Go find a better witch to be with," he groans.

"Keep annoying him," I tell the cardinal. "He loves it, especially when you make nests in his hair."

"Hey!" The Guard tries his best to shoo the bird away but it's clearly happy with its perch. It nips affectionately at his ear. "Ow!" I don't bother to stifle my laugh.

___

"Dear diary. I've been tied up and forced to exercise twice today. We've been walking through the caves with no end in sight. I can't feel my feet. Or my legs. Are we there yet? Is there even a there?"

"You forgot to mention the bird."

"And my hair has been turned into a nest for a palisman. What cruel torture is this? I'm sure it looks as bad as it feels."

"Really? I think you look ravishing."

The Guard groans. I would have been dragging him all the way through the caves if I hadn't spelled his legs to keep on walking. Genius, if I do say so myself. Although the Guard wasn't too fond.

I stop as we approach a fork in the path. "Stay." The magic keeps the Golden Guard in place, but he doesn't seem so happy about this new development.

"You could at least let me sit down."

"I've been kind enough to let you keep your legs at all, Guard. Now stay put before I change my mind." I expect a witty quip but instead I receive grumbling. Seems he's learnt his lesson from when I kicked his ass earlier, he's got the black eye to prove it.

Turning my attention back to the two paths, I hold my hands out in front of each cave. Nothing happens on my left, but I catch a slight breeze from the right tunnel. Perfect. I pull the Guard along with me despite his complaints. The cave starts off narrow, opening to a large room full of precariously balanced stalactites and the occasional broken-down machine. I steer clear of the machines.

The Guard goes unusually quiet, and I turn back to investigate. Realising I'm watching him he quickly moves his gaze to mine, but Eda has always told me to watch people's eyes. "Most of the time it leads to some pretty good junk!"

I turn my head to where he was looking a second ago and smile. A light darting out from behind a machine resembling a large slingshot. In other words, our way out.

"Looks like we've reached the end of our journey, Goldie."

"Thank Titan. I thought I'd pass out if I had to spend another second in your presence."

"That does sound entertaining. Should I stay longer?"

"Oh, that would be wonderful." I whip my head around at the new, shrilly voice.

"Kikimora." The Guard's voice is low and laced with venom. Kikimora descends the stairs, surrounded by scouts from the Emperor's Coven. A few who were slouching stand up straight as soon as they see me.

"I'll do you a deal, witch," Kikimora grins. "Hand over the Guard, and you go free."

I stretch nonchalantly, spinning my staff in my hand. "I'm good. In fact, I've been waiting for a real fight." I quickly glance at the Guard. "Get to the exit," I whisper, only loud enough for him to hear. He seems to consider this, glancing at Kikimora's group then back at me. He nods.

I undo the binding spell. Kikimora steps forward. Then all hell breaks loose.

I rush straight towards her while the Guard takes on the goons. I briefly notice the cardinal palisman transforming into a staff.

I shoot a spell at Kikimora, but one of the scouts deflects it with an Abomination that rushes towards me. I dodge and spell it out of existence, kicking the scout in the stomach and smacking another one on the head with my staff. More scouts rush to protect their leader and it's like playing a life size game of Whack-A-Mole.

A familiar cry quickly turns my attention and I see the Guard being strangled by a coven scout. I quickly shoot a knock-out spell at the scout and the Guard breaks free, bonking their helmet for good measure.

"Oh, so the Golden Guard finally made a friend? That's a first." While Kikimora's attention is on him, I use an ice spell to shoot me over the crowd and towards the exit. I land on the slingshot machine with a thud. This better work.

"Heads!" I hit the machine with all my might and... it doesn't move. Not an inch. "Oh, c'mon!" I quickly scramble around to find a large rock or anything to help this thing work. But before I can move an inch, a sharp pain hits my head and my vision goes black.

Golden Guard's POV

"Heads!" The battle stops as everybody turns to face Y/n, who's standing on top of a giant slingshot. I allow myself a smile and take this as my chance to run for the exit. I hop on my newly formed staff and zip through the scouts, heading straight towards the light. I brace myself for the moment the ammo is released, but it never comes. Instead, I see a bolt of magic shoot through the cave – right into Y/n's forehead.

They fall to the ground with a heavy thump, and for a moment I forget where I'm supposed to be headed. Come on, this is your chance! You can be free of Y/n forever! No more fights! No more wild magic! Just get out the door!

I turn around to see everyone in the crowd running my way, staffs drawn. I hear my brain screaming at me to get out. Despite myself, I shoot one more glance at Y/n's limp body.

Damn it.

As fast as I can I fly towards Y/n, pick up their body and sail towards the exit. I dodge and swerve as much as I can while carrying an extra person on my staff. I hear a spell coming straight towards me and quickly dart left, slamming into a stalactite.

I ignore the shaking ceiling as I fly through the stalactites. I ignore my brain scolding me for going back for Y/n. I ignore the crash behind me as I burst out of the cave.

I ignore the smile on my face.

♡ ♡ ♡

Sorry this chapter took so long to get out! I've been trying to write it for months but was too scared to start the battle scene lol. I've also been swamped with schoolwork, mental health dramas, etc. I wrote most of it tonight and it's currently quarter past midnight so I hope I don't sound too sleep deprived. Love you all, stay hydrated!