sam and bucky's boat

Start from the beginning

"You're really good at that," she says quietly, tangling her fingers with Kate's.

"Mm, thank you," Kate rests her head against Yelena's, "do you wanna talk about it?"

Yelena huffs, not really sure how to answer that. She doesn't exactly want to admit that she just yelled at her only sister in a dream when the woman is dead , so instead she opts for, "Is it bad of me to be angry at her?"

"At Natasha?" Kate asks, and Yelena nods. Kate hums, "I don't think so. I remember being really upset when my dad died. There's no real correct way to grieve, honestly."

Yelena sits up, undoing the braid she has her hair in. It's too messy and she's sure if she doesn't it's just going to fall apart soon anyway.

"Do you plan on going back to bed?" Kate asks, watching intently as Yelena redoes the braid quickly.

"Plan on, yes," Yelena shrugs, "Execution might be sloppy."

"Alright," Kate lies back down, "wake me up if you need anything, alright? Even if you're just bored."

Yelena nods, "Always, Kate Bishop."

-

The market they arrive at is barely alive when they arrive. The sun's setting over the water and aside from a few strays, it's fairly empty. All the easier to get around in, if you asked Yelena.

She and Kate get out of the car, walking around for a little bit until they come up on what looks like the photos Clint sent.

"Use the arm!"

Yelena raises an eyebrow at the voice, and Kate looks a little too giddy to be here. Avengers fangirl, of course.

"I don't need to use the arm all the time!"

Yelena can't help but be a little nosy, wondering what the yelling's about and who it is that's yelling.

Her question is answered thirty seconds later when two guys appear, one flexing his fingers of a prosthetic arm and the other holding a toolbox. The one with the prosthetic arm looks oddly familiar, not that Yelena thinks she can place her finger on why exactly. Dog tags hang around his neck and Yelena thinks he might just have one of those typical recognizable white guy faces. The other one is more recognizable, Yelena remembers when he was on the news every two minutes because he's the new Captain America. People were calling him the "Black Captain America" for a while, too, but that's faded with time.

They catch a glimpse of the girls and Yelena doesn't have to look at Kate to know they've found the right people. She felt Kate's excitement the second they approached and her grip on Yelena's hand got so much tighter.

"How can we help you guys?" the one with the prosthetic arm asks, and Yelena's a little shellshocked. What does she recognize him from?

"We're looking for Sam Wilson," she responds, "are you him?"

"I am," his friend says, "are you girls who Clint called us about?"

"Depends on the girls he called about," Yelena responds, digging her hands in her pockets and readjusting her stance so she'd feel a little taller.

"Yelena and Kate," he responds, raising an eyebrow, "You seem like a Yelena ."

Prosthetic-boy rolls his eyes behind him, pushing Captain America out of the way gently, "Ignore him. You are Kate and Yelena, right?"

"Yes," Kate says, "I'm Kate. Big fan of you both, I watched the whole speech thing on YouTube like eighteen times when it first came out."

Sam nods, "Clint did mention his apprentice was a fan."