Chapter 25: The Disagreement

Start from the beginning

I slowly remove my arm from his dead gripped. "Don't worry, I can handle fire. I knew how to play with fire, Leandro. I never even once had been burned by flames."

"Are you sure?"

I gave him a rueful smile and admitted the truth. "All right, fine. Maybe once. But I am the type of woman who learned from her mistake faster than an average person."

"I certainly hope for your benefit that you are correct, Leila." He murmured while his eyes turned coldly. "Because I hate to see us fighting over small matters such as your partner is unfaithful to you."

My pride flared at his words. Is he implying that I'm having an affair outside our marriage? I may be a disobedient, out-of-control woman, and a bit impulsive sometimes but I never and would never break my vows. However, convenient our marriage is. I glared at him vehemently. "Are you hinting that I'm having an affair in the city, Señor Salazar?"

The devil merely shrugged nonchalantly. "If the shoe fits."

Why this ungrateful brute...I thought furiously. My vision started to fill with red haze because of this impossible man. If he attacked me with this I might as well strike back in the same manner. "You know, Leandro," I announced coldly. "You don't have to accuse me of having an affair because I knew in my heart that I have a clear conscience. Unlike a certain person, I knew he's still living with his ex and probably harboring secret feelings to that woman that's why he cannot throw her away to his palace."

His eyes turned like shards of ice. "Are you saying that I still have feelings for Natalia that's why she's still living here?"

I mimicked his gesture a while ago I shrugged casually. "If the shoe fits."

"Let me clear some things to you, you difficult woman." He said with such anger in his voice. "I don't have feelings for Natalia. And the reason she's still here is that she's welcome to stay as long as she wants. She's part of the family. She's my late brother's wife."

"Yeah, right. Whatever." I gave him an acid smile. "The thing is I don't care about the reason for her stay here. Both of you can do whatever you want for all I care. Now do excuse me. I want to have a shower before dinner."

I didn't wait for his reply before I close the door in his face I made sure to lock the door so he couldn't follow me inside. Once I was inside I opt for a cold shower to clear my head. I stood still at the freezing water spraying over my head as I took a deep breath. What madness possessed me to bait him like that? I asked myself silently.

It was jealousy. The voice inside my head annoyingly answered.

I just pointedly ignored that voice and continue my purpose for a quick shower. After a while, I emerged from the bathroom wrapped in a white towel around my body thankfully Leandro was out of sight. He was probably in the dining area by now. I dressed quickly before going to the dining area of the palace.

The dinner was bleak. It reminded me of the miserable dinner I had with my father when Laila was at the Moretti residence for a social visit. It was like a funeral service than a simple dinner with my father. Only the utensils were the only thing you hear at the dinner table.

As much, as I hate it I couldn't do anything. I don't want to start a conversation not when Leandro seems to be in a foul mood about my accusation towards him. Not that I regret whatever I said to him but sometimes I hope that my mouth knew how to take a break.

I glanced at Lucia who at the moment was also seems to be in deep thoughts. If I'm not this hungry I would not eat dinner tonight. That's right, I just need to eat my food as fast as I can and have a swift exit at the dinner table.

So much for my luck tonight when Lucia finally recovered from her own world. "So how's your trip in town, Leila?"

I mentally closed my eyes. Oh, not again. I gave a sideways glance at Leandro who sat at the head of the table. Our eyes locked together refusing to look away first. "Yes, Lucia." He said casually, sipping his wine. "Why don't you ask my wife about her shopping trip?"

"Was it successful?" Lucia asked innocently.

I glared at him venomously but I couldn't miss the way the bitter widow smirked while silently eating her food. "So much to my regret I didn't buy anything. No design caught my attention lately."

"Oh, that happened to me sometimes." Leandro's sister said sympathetically. "But not always sometimes I buy clothes even I don't like the design that much."

"Just like my wife when it comes to shopping." He agreed acidly. "I wonder what kind of shopping Leila is doing for hours and don't have any single purchases in her hand."

"Leandro," I pleaded with him as I close my eyes to calm my temper. "Please, not here."

"Why?" He asked offhandedly, his eyes filled with silent anger. Aren't we done here yet? I thought that this conversation ended in our bedroom. I guessed I just deluding myself. "My sister is just asking for your trip to Seville, Leila. Is that wrong of us to ask about it?"

I closed my eyes as I pinched the bridge of my nose for a growing headache. "No..."

"So can you answer her now?" He fired his question with such precision unknowingly cornering me to answer the question I desperately trying to avoid. "I'd like to know it myself."

I have enough of this baseless accusation from him and my temper finally reached its boiling point. I stood from my seat and glared at him. "Fine, do you want to know about my trip in town, Leandro? Okay, I will tell you." I threw my napkin on the table. "I have a fun afternoon with a woman named Maria Fernanda. Is that name sound familiar to you?"

The bitter widow and Lucia gasped while the Conde's eyes turned dark and dangerous in my direction. "Didn't I tell you to back off, Leila?"

"Yes, you did," I told him with a saccharine smile. "But I'm not the type of woman who will listen to anyone. I always do what I know what's best."

"Enough!" He roared angrily. He also stood from his seat. "You will not see that woman again, Leila. Do you hear me?"

"Why would I listen to a man who has a cold and hard heart like you?"

"Leila..." He warned crossly. "Do not wager your luck."

I glared at him heartedly. "We'll see about that," I answered back. "Just so you know I intend to see your mother again and you cannot stop me." I marched out of the dining area angrily. When I was halfway to the stairs I mentally cursed myself from blowing up everything I slowly planned in a blink of an eye.

Cesare once warned me that one day I would regret having such a rebellious personality. Is this the day he's talking about?

I hope not...