One hundred and twenty five

Start from the beginning

"Yeah?" Erin looked at her.

"I told you you'd figure this out. I'm very proud of you," Bailey said.

Erin managed a weak smile and stood up.

"I'm gonna go and make some calls about stem cells. Thanks, mama B," Erin said.

"I'm sorry, explain this to me again," Kaitlyn said.

She, Brianna and Erin were sat in the conference room to discuss Erin's plan while Alex prepped Lydia for surgery.

"I'm going to go in and take the twenty six percent of her stomach that has never had a hernia on it. I'm going to take the twenty four percent of the diaphragm that hasn't been destroyed by the hernias. I'm then going to put them with stem cells to regrow the organs. I have my sister 3D printing the molds they'll grow in to make them keep to the stomach and diaphragm shape," Erin said.

She sounded more confident than she felt. She actually felt like she might vomit because of how stressful this was about to be.

"Okay, so you regrow her organs. But they told us that stomach and diaphragm transplants had never happened," Brianna said.

"I know," Erin winced. "But you told me you came to me because of my reputation of doing the unthinkable. That's what I'm trying to do," Erin said.

"Do you have a plan for the transplant?" Kaitlyn asked.

"I'm finishing up the outlines of three different ways I could do it. I will have a concrete plan in time for when the organs have grown enough for us to transplant them," Erin said.

"What if she gets another hernia before then?" Brianna said.

"We operate. The growth rate of other organs suggests that we should have about seventy percent of a healthy stomach and seventy of a healthy diaphragm in around six weeks. As long as we keep her stable until then, even if it's on bed rest, she should be able to get the transplant and be back on her feet. She'll need yearly scans and I'm personally going to oversee her followups, if they're surgical or not, but this is her best chance. Her condition is worse than you expected. It's worse than I expected. This really is the only way I can think of fixing this so she can grow up," Erin said.

"We trust you," Brianna said. "Whatever you think will keep her healthy," Brianna said.

"Yeah. Do what you have to," Kaitlyn said.

They trusted Erin to work a miracle on their child, and it was her own fault if this went bad because she just didn't know when to let things go. God, she really was like Ellis when she was in work mode, wasn't she?

"We're prepping Lydia for surgery now. We're going to take the healthy parts of the organs and start growing them tonight. I'm going to be monitoring this very closely and we're going to be doing scans on Lydia every two days, every day if she shows a change in her labs. You should go and see her before we take her in," Erin said.

"Thank you," Brianna said.

They stood up and left the room. Erin leaned back in her chair, running her hands through her hair. She breathed out slowly, closing her eyes and trying to ground herself before she spiraled head first into a panic attack.

"Hey," Amelia knocked on the door.

"Hey," Erin mumbled, keeping her eyes closed.

"You okay?" Amelia asked.

"Am I a superhero?" Erin said.

"You're the best superhero I know," Amelia said.

Erin opened her eyes, looking at Amelia. Her eyes glittered in the sunlight coming through the blinds, the tears evident in the sea of green. Amelia tilted her head to the side, studying Erin with the big sister face she'd mastered since meeting Erin and taking her under her wing.