38. all in a days work

Start from the beginning

As she brushed, her dress became more and more laced with stray horsehair and once she finished. her once neat hairdo had strands hanging down over her face. She looked a mess, but she was too happy and it was too early to care. She exited the stall and grabbed her jacket from the hook. The girl pulled out her pocket watch and checked the time before she let out a soft flurry of curses.

She'd been there longer than expected.

"Oh, my boy, where did the time go?" Clara whistled as she brushed down her dress and ensured the stall door was still locked. "I've got to get to work, but I'll be back later, eh? How about we go out past Small Heath? Would you like that?"

She reached out and patted the horse's muzzle one final time before she slipped on her coat. She held her gloves in her hand while she strode the stable exit. The once pristine quietness of the yard had now been shattered as she heard the faint noise of talking. Clara curiously stepped out into the crisp open air and turned her head towards the noise.

"What the fuck are you lot doing here?" She questioned with a raised brow as she approached John and Arthur setting up a fancy table. "Having a midmorning tea party, are we?"

"Fuck off," John scowled as the girl folded her arms. He sat down on the seat below him. "We're conducting business."

"Mhm..." Clara hummed, flicking her cigarette case open as she withdrew one and lit it.

"Don't you have work to be doing?" John added, his nose wrinkled as Arthur joined him in sitting.

"I'm not due in there for another—" Clara checked her pocket watch as the cigarette dangled between her lips. "—forty-five minutes, so I guess I'll just have to hang around here and watch until then."

"Oh fuck, John, here they come," Arthur huffed with an amused smile. He turned his gaze to the girl before his smile fell as he gestured behind them. "Go stand with that lot and not a word."

Clara moved to stand between the Peaky boys gathered as she puffed out small clouds of smoke. Her eyes were drawn towards Vincente Changretta being led into the Yard by Finn and Isiah. She took another deep inhale of chemicals in anticipation. Arthur stood to his feet as the three Italians stood in front of them.

"You asked for a meeting out in the open." Arthur stated, "Fresh air and the fine aroma of shit. 'Neutral ground', you said."

"This is hardly neutral ground." Vincente gruffly replied,

"Well, it's what you've got," Arthur shrugged, "So, por favor, sit down." Clara hid her wince at the butchered language.

"Where is Thomas?" The older Italian man asked while Arthur took a seat.

"He got called away." John shrugged nonchalantly,

"He'd said he'd be here."

"Yeah, he is busy." Arthur scratched his jaw.

"And I just told you he got called away." John quickly sniped, "What do you want?"

"There has been a peace between the Peaky Blinders and the Changretta family for two years now..." Vincente began before John snickered.

"Do you want some tea or not?" John interrupted, "Here, Finn, pour the Italians some English tea. Go on." Finn moved forward and poured out the cups of tea. Clara's nostrils flared, whatever game her brothers were playing, she didn't like it.

"We don't want fucking tea!" The Italian snapped, "We want an explanation."

"Well, I'll have fucking tea." Arthur piped up, as he picked up the cup.