Mushroom Skewers

I had been the princess of Hyrule before the calamity.

"That would mean you are...were..." My words faded off.

"Yes, my daughter. Unfortunately I was a lost cause in the heart of the castle when Ganon struck."

My heart shattered. "Was it...my fault?"

"No, dear Zelda. We were preparing to fight Ganon as best we could, but in the end it was not enough. No one could have guessed how powerful he would be upon his return."

I looked towards the castle in the distance. How vacant it seemed from here, only purple swirls around it.

How empty it seemed.

"How did I...die?" I asked.

"You almost died, Zelda. However, you were protected by your personal knight, Link."

Link. The name was very familiar. A strange feeling spread across my chest.

"Is Link sleeping like I was?" My voice cracked, afraid that might not be the case.

The king's expression grew grim. "I'm afraid he saved your life at the cost of his own that day."

"I failed him too, then. That's what you're telling me?" I muttered solemnly.

I couldn't quite understand it, but my very soul began to ache after these words. First my father, now Link.

Who did live after the calamity struck?

"How long was I asleep?" The dreaded question.

"You were in the shrine of resurrection for 100 years." He replied simply.

100...years. My stomach twisted. My people needed me all that time ago, not only did I fail but left them to fend for themselves for a century.

"Here is the paraglider, as promised." The king moved on from that subject. "Go towards those mountains in the east, there you will find the one named Impa in Kakariko Village. She will be able to fill in more of the details of that day. She may even tell you more about life before the calamity. I'm glad you are safe, my dear daughter." Father smiled. "You are more than capable of defeating Ganon. We all believe in you." His figure started to fade away, the stained glass behind him becoming clear as he disappeared completely.

I wanted him to return, but I knew he had completed his purpose here.

Shaking my head, I looked to the chest left by my father. Inside was a beautiful soldier's bow, my current bows fail in comparison. Equipping it, I unfolded the paraglider to get a feel of how it worked.

Unfolded, it displayed the painted pattern of the symbol of Hyrule, it felt very sturdy.

Well, here goes nothing.

I launched myself off the Temple's tower, letting the air fill the paraglider and sailed on the wind.

The plateau below was full of those creatures again, this time there were multiple colors. I vaguely remembered that variable colors meant that they were harder to kill.

My arms started to strain, so I lowered myself to the ground.

I have a lot of strength to build if I'm going to make it all the way to the castle from here.

Straightening up and folding away the paraglider, I slowly approached a camp that resided near the Great Plateau's tower. I needed food and more weapons, and they were guarding a chest with glowing purple eyes. Perhaps that meant something really special.