Till Death Do Us Part

She didn't want any of those days to end, and she was always disappointed as she watched the darkness approach. She's been waiting for her wife to return for several hours. It was nearly 2 a.m., she hadn't eaten yet, and she was wide awake. She cried quietly, hoping her wife wasn't cheating and had simply worked overtime. She hid her head between her knees in the darkness, assuring herself that her wife was on her way home at any moment.

This has been the situation for the previous three years. Her wife would go to work at six o'clock in the morning and return the next day, or if she was lucky, at ten o'clock in the evening. Jennie, on the other hand, is tired, sad, and lonely. But she loves her wife so much that she would never consider leaving her.

She craved for what most people wanted for: love and happiness.
She desired to be touched. She needed for someone to touch her back.
She desired a partner, someone who would laugh with her as well as at her.
She desired someone who saw her for who she was, not for her status or position.
And that someone is her wife, Lisa.

Finally, the sound of the door opening and the keys being held caused Jennie to leap to her feet and wait for her wife to enter. The door opened, revealing her drunk wife, who was having difficulty walking and squirming due to her heavy drinking. The sight of her Lisa in her drunken state pained Jennie. This happens on a daily basis; Lisa is continually drinking and ignores Jennie when she returns home.

Jennie quietly called her wife  "Lisa," and attempted to hold her when Lisa backed away. Jennie's heart ached at the sight of her wife avoiding her.

"Can't you just leave me alone? I'm tired, so tired. Please just leave. I'm letting you go. You shouldn't be here with me!" Lisa said as she walked to their room and slammed the door. She was exhausted after a long day and, of course, she was drinking to forget about her problems.

Jennie attempted to prevent her sobbing by covering her mouth with her palms. She's in a lot of pain, but she can't leave her wife since she isn't selfish. She wanted to look after her and love her. She wanted to be there for her because Lisa didn't have anyone in her life. Her wife, Lisa, on the other hand, is making things difficult for her.

Jennie carefully opened their room door and saw her wife sleeping comfortably on their bed. She cried as she lay alongside her. "Why did you do it?" she asked, crying quietly. "Is it because the world is unlivable? Is it because it's unlovable? Love, loneliness can be painful at times."

She tucks her head into Lisa's chin and listens to her heart as she curls up against her. Stay and wait, it says. The heart expresses regret. The heart understands what it's like to crave love, a love so strong that it grows roots. Please, she hears her heart say.

"I love you, Lisa."

______

The following day, the same situation happened. It had become a routine for Jennie to wait for her wife, even if it meant a day. Lisa, on the other hand, would be home drunk and wasted. Jennie, who is in immense pain, had had enough and decided to speak with her wife.

"Lisa." Jennie called.

Lisa clenched her teeth and said, "Why are you still here? Jennie, we can't go on like this forever."

Seeing Jennie waiting for her every day was like a punishment, a torture.

"Why do you keep pushing me away? We're married, Lisa. We love each other. I'm your wife; you should love and care for me!" Jennie exclaimed, tears streaming down her face like a waterfall. She had finally released the pain she had been holding inside for years.

"Just please, Jennie? Stop this." Lisa almost begged, crying her heart out.

"You've shown me how cruel you are now - harsh and dishonest; why do you hate me?" Jennie shouted.

"I'm sorry, Jen. Please leave me." Lisa sobbed.

Jennie wiped her tears away and replied, "We're staying together, you promised. You're not getting away from me. Never again."

"This is all my fault, I'm sorry." Lisa said, crying so hard to the point where she's having a hard time saying the words, "Leave and fix yourself, Jennie. Please."

Jennie chuckled, "No amount of time would fix me. There was no miracle Band-Aid I could apply to my broken heart, no special glue I could use to reassemble myself. I'd shattered like a delicate glass jar on concrete, and while some fragments could be patched back together, my heart had simply turned to dust, crushed and blown by a strong wind."

"Just leave, Jen!" Lisa said, running her fingers through her hair. She was going insane because of the amount of fear and sadness inside her.

"You made me like this, Lisa! Face your consequences!" Jennie yelled.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. Leave, please. Leave me." Lisa shook her head, the regret had returned.

"You deserve this. You killed me! You loved me - what right did you have to kill me? What right, answer me?! Is it because I caught you cheating? Because unhappiness, damage, and death, won't be able to part us, you, of your own free will, did it. I have not broken your heart - you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine," Jennie yelled at Lisa's face, her eyes screeming with sorrow and guilt.

"Hearts can be broken. Yes, people's hearts can be broken. I sometimes wish we could all die at the same moment, but we don't." Jennie added.

Lisa is fragile, broken—broke herself—broke everything.

"I'm sorry, Love. I'm sorry." Lisa softly whispered.

And Jennie vanished.

_______

Lisa was crying in the bathtub the next day, staring at the ceiling. Her mind and emotions are exhausted as a consequence of her wrong doings.

She muttered, "Wait for me, my love," before sinking into the cold tub water until she was out of breath.

Everything that falls gets broken.

_____

⚠️This story is a work of fiction and should not be taken as fact. All characters, locations, and events are products of the author's imagination, and any resemblance to real-life persons, places, or events is purely coincidental.