Empty Streets of New York City

RUFUS
I shut my eyes tight as I reach the doorknob. It squeaks as I turn it and the flashing lights disappear as I walk forward. I keep my eyes closed and the sound of birds and air hit my face. Yet silence when it comes to other humans. I open my eyes and I see big buildings. At first I feel uncomfortable but after a second the place feels familiar. I sit to think when it hits me. Mateos Apartment Building. My face lights up as I run towards the stairs. Memories of Mateo run past my mind as I run up the stairs. I reach the floor with the broken tiles which I remember Mateo pointing out as we held hands like we were living in a Hallmark movie. I reach the door with the least amount of cracks and stains, and I knock. I hear a slight shuffle. My heart pounds. I feel like my boy is close. Yes MY boy. I want the smell of his soul around me. I can't stand not having it so with all the anger and frustration I start banging on the door as tears spill out of my eyes. When no one responds I feel hopeless. I tremble to my knees and my forehead smashes against the door. Tears reach my sore hands and I shut my eyes. Trying to get any memory of my boy. His bright glittery smile fills my mind. His round glasses that are so nerdy but shit I love them. I regain myself and try to turn the doorknob and I hear a click of a lock when I realize the doorknob is golden. I open the door to be blinded by more white walls. I see Mateo running towards me and my eyes close and start watering due to happiness.