⚡️ Chapter 26 ⚡️

While Vega, Harry, Ron and Hermione were busy looking for a defence for Buckbeak's upcoming court case, the rest of the castle, the usual magnificent Christmas decorations were already placed up by teachers, despite the fact that hardly any of the students remained to enjoy them.

Thick streamers of holly and mistletoe were strung along the corridors, fairy lights were fluttering as they floated around with clever charms, mysterious lights shone from inside every suit of armour, and the Great Hall was filled with its usual twelve Christmas trees, glittering with golden stars.

A powerful and delicious smell of cooking pervaded the corridors, and by Christmas Eve, it had grown so strong that even Scabbers poked his nose out of the shelter of Ron's pocket to sniff hopefully at the air.

On Christmas morning, Vega woke up fairly early to shower and get dressed before she unwrapped the Christmas presents that were set on the foot of her bed. Mrs. Weasley had sent her a scarlet sweater with the Gryffindor lion knitted on the front and the letter 'V' on the back (which she pulled on quickly), a dozen home-baked mince pies, some Christmas cake, and a box of nut brittle.

"Merry Christmas, Crookshanks," Vega said as she gently tied a tinsel around her neck to make his squished grumpy face more festive. "I do that for Aerglo and Pluto, too... should I do the same?" She picked up a red tinsel and propped it up on her head like a crown, chuckling. "Merry Christmas,"

Hermione stared at Vega and Crookshanks, unsure whether she should be amused or what. She wondered if Vega was finally losing it – but at least she was entertained on her own with pets.

"We should go and see if Ron and Harry are awake," Hermione proposed and Vega nodded in agreement, following behind the brunette female out of their dormitory.

The Gryffindor common room was empty as per usual during Christmas holidays, and Vega noticed that Crookshanks had followed behind the two females, hoping to enter the boys' tower, too.

"You do know that Crookshanks will try to grab Scabbers in there, right?" Vega asked as Hermione picked Crookshanks up to take him along. "Ron's going to get angry,"

"It'll be fine," Hermione replied as she pushed the door to the boys' dormitory and found them both awake, still in pyjamas. "What're you two laughing about?"

"Don't bring him in here!" Ron shouted at once, hurriedly snatching Scabbers from the depths of his bed and stowing him in his pyjama pocket.

"Told you," Vega said to Hermione before her grey eyes fell on something very particular – "Firebolt...? Huh? Did you get yourself a Firebolt, Harry? Or did someone send it to you?"

Next to her, Hermione was just equally shocked by the appearance of the Firebolt. She dropped Crookshanks onto Seamus's empty bed (must to Ron's chagrin as he held Scabbers back and away) and stared, open-mouthed, at the beautiful broomstick, too.

"No idea," Harry replied. "There wasn't a card or anything with it," He held it out to Vega to have a look and the black-haired girl gently grabbed it, running her fingers along the wood.

Its handle glittered as Vega held it – she could feel it vibrating and when she let go; it hung in mid-air, unsupported, at exactly the right height for a person to mount it. She looked over at the golden registration number at the top of the handle and trailed her eyes, right down to the perfectly smooth, streamlined birch twigs that made up the tail. There was only one word to describe it –

"Beautiful," Vega breathed as she found herself unable to keep back her awe and grin as she looked over at Harry. "This is really beautiful! It's even better when you hold outside the glass encasing!"