⚡️ Chapter 25 ⚡️

Bắt đầu từ đầu

In fact, by Hagrid's usual standards, he was positively cute.

"You'll have to put up a good strong defence, Hagrid," Hermione said, sitting down and laying a hand on Hagrid's massive forearm. "I'm sure you can prove Buckbeak is safe,"

"Won' make no diff'rence!" Hagrid sobbed. "Them Disposal devils, they're all in Lucius Malfoy's pocket! Scared o' him! Ad if I lose the case, Buckbeak –"

Hagrid drew his finger swiftly across his throat, then gave a great wail and lurched forward, his face in his arms. Vega frowned deeply, unable to find the right words to comfort Hagrid with this.

"But what about Dumbledore, Hagrid?" Vega asked as she turned to face him. "I'm sure this has reached him, too, since the school governors are involved,"

"He's done more'n enough fer me already," Hagrid groaned. "Got enough on his plate what with keepin' them Dementors outta the castle, an' Sirius Black lurkin' around,"

Ron and Hermione looked quickly at Harry, as though expecting him to start berating Hagrid for not telling him the truth about Black. However, Vega was sure that he wouldn't do this right now – not when he saw Hagrid crying in fear for Buckbeak's life. There was no way he would be able to do it.

"Listen, Hagrid," Harry spoke up. "You can't give up. Hermione's right, you just need a good defence. You can call us as witnesses, too!"

"Even with disposal department involved," Vega said. "I've read about a case of Hippogriff-baiting, where the Hippogriff got off. We can pick some defence from there and help Buckbeak escape,"

Hagrid howled still more loudly. Vega, Harry and Hermione looked at Ron to help them.

"Er – shall I make a cup of tea?" Ron said. Harry stared at him, causing the redhead to shrug and mutter, "It's what my mum does whenever someone's upset,"

"I agree," Vega said quickly before Ron got discouraged.

At last, after many more assurances of help, with a steaming mug of tea in front of him, Hagrid blew his nose on a handkerchief the size of a tablecloth and looked at the four students.

"Yer right," Hagrid said to them. "I can' afford to go ter pieces. Gotta pull meself together..."

"You can take your time, Hagrid," Vega assured him as she watched Fang the boarhound come timidly out from under the table and lay his head on Hagrid's knee.

"I've not bin meself lately," Hagrid said ashe stroked Fang with one hand and mopped his face with the other. "Worried abou' Buckbeak, an' no one likin' me classes –"

"They're not as bad as you think," Vega interjected. "It's your first semester as a teacher – you'll improve over time. I just think everything's been excessively distressing due to the dementors,"

"Yeah, your classes are great!" Ron added quickly a well, crossing his fingers under the table and Vega gave him a look. "Er – how are the flobber-worms?"

"Dead," Hagrid said gloomily. "Too much lettuce,"

"Oh no!" Ron said, his lip twitching but quickly straightened his expression out when he saw the blazing look in Vega's grey eyes trained on him.

"An' them Dementors make me feel ruddy terrible an' all," Hagrid said, with a sudden shudder. "Gotta walk past 'em ev'ry time I want a drink in the Three Broomsticks. 'S like bein' back in Azkaban –"

Hagrid fell silent, gulping his tea. Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione watched him breathlessly. They had never heard Hagrid talk about his brief spell in Azkaban before. Vega's expression flattened.