Ch. 26 | Bouquet Toss

Start from the beginning

"And yet... I'm right," she gasped with the utmost incredulity, "and you're wrong."

I just smiled at her for a moment. I took in the sight of her false anger before it faded and was replaced with a smile bright enough to rival the sun itself. I reveled in the light of her love, fastidiously hoarding each detail in front of me before it was replaced with yet another thing for me to memorize.

I smiled at her until there was nothing but a green excitement in her eyes. I bathed in the warmth of her naiveté and realized for the first time that I, too, was experiencing something new.

And what wonderful uncharted territory it was to be loved.

"If I let you win, what do I get?" I offered in place of a complete concession of her brilliance.

She'd already known that I was helplessly, disgustingly smitten with her. She didn't need yet another boost of her ego, no matter how grand it deserved to be.

Also, I would be lying if I said I hadn't hoped for what came next. Although she didn't offer me the pleasure of winning the bout of banter, she was more than happy to offer me a consolation prize in the form of her lips against mine once more.

That time, it was I who held her with a firm, desperate plea to be closer. One hand sneaked beneath her neck and cradled the back of her head with the delicateness she demanded. The other was more sinful, carefully smoothing over her lower back and feeling the gentle curves. I pressed finger pads into the soft flesh until her lips parted with a small gasp.

Only then did I accept her offer and allow my defeat.

"Deal," I said, so she might kiss me again.

And she did. We stayed tangled together for what felt like hours. It still wasn't enough, as I would never tire of her; I would never be satisfied with the time we had left. If I was not in her arms, the world felt so dreadfully cold.

But I persevered because I knew — or at least, hoped — that we would end every day the very same way that we'd begun that one.

From the moment I'd met her, I knew that I would love her forever. It seems strange to say it now, and perhaps these are all just the ramblings of any fool in love. But I couldn't deny what felt so indisputable.

I couldn't lie to anyone, especially not myself, and pretend like I hadn't recognized her soul. I'd hardly even believed in such a thing before her, and I was convinced that her absence before then must've been why. Because once I felt that, that calling, that comfort of her hands and voice and smile, I couldn't preach nihilism any longer.

There was something real; something beautiful.

Those thoughts only grew stronger as the day went on. Even when I saw the venue, absolutely covered in flowers and other beautiful, wonderful things, I could only see her. Still, I found myself bored by the trappings of wealth because they would never be quite good enough to serve as her background.

She'd rarely let go of my hand the entire time we'd been there. With anyone else, I would've found the extended contact excruciating. But instead, I wondered how I would ever let her go again.

As Lila walked down the aisle, my Bunny watched her with an expression I'd never seen before. A longing like she could almost see her dream come to life. I understood entirely how she'd felt, because as she watched Lila, I'd watched her.

I, too, could envision my Bunny in all white. I could see the gentle, subtle sparkle of the sunlight on her cheeks, and I was lost in the fantasy. I stared at her beside me, and I questioned how I'd ever deluded myself into believing I could be happy with anyone else.