Prologue

"We should just kick her out."

Again? It's every morning now...

"She had good intentions... We can't just kick her out..."

Damn right, I'm trying to help you guys.

"She's the cause for those letters! Those thugs trashed the front foyer, how do you think that looks for us?"

I didn't think they'd target the orphanage...

"I'm sure (Y/N) didn't plan on it... Give her more time, she's... She's trying her best, okay?"

At least Hyun is on my side... An angel, that girl!

"... Whatever... I don't want to see her for the day. Send her out when she wakes up, she has a lot of work to do."

Footsteps filled the dark hall as Hyun sighed.

"... I know you're up."

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, swinging my bruised legs to the side as I stood up. "Dae pissed off again?" Hyun opened the door and stepped into the small room.

"(Y/N), you know I can't keep buying you time. Are you anywhere near the amount needed? Even if you can only pay off one group?" Hyun asked, crossing her arms in worry. I sighed as I moved to the small step stool, using it to reach the top of a shelf.

"I have... A little under halfway... I'll find Ju-Won and ask for more time."

"Only that much? And what about the other loan sharks?" I narrowed my eyes as I thought.

"Ju-Won is the top priority. Once I pay him off, I'll beg the others for extra time." Hyun sighed and walked over, gently hugging me from behind. I couldn't help but lean back into her warmth.

"... I'm worried, (Y/N)..."

"I know."

"No, you don't."

"I-" Hyun cut me off.

"No, (Y/N), you really don't understand. You keep stealing food from stores, we're getting threats, and I fear the other kids are going to get hurt." Hyun rambled, gripping me tightly.

"Hyun..."

"Why didn't you just listen to us? Certainly you knew better!"

"Hyun...."

"I mean, we could've been fine without the loans! You didn't need to do anything!"

"Hyun!" That snapped her out of it. I gently pushed her away and turned to grab a pair of clothes.

"I'm fine. I'm heading out to get more money. Dae doesn't wanna see my pretty face, but I know a few suckers who would love to play a game with a desperate teen." Hyun reached her hand to me, only to drop it to her side.

"... Just... Just be safe..." Hyun turned to leave, closing the door slowly.

"... I love you, (Y/N)..."

She shut the door as I glared at the floor. "... Yeah... Love you too...." I started changing into the clothes, picking the better set for the day. I needed to scam more people than normal, hopefully this would be good!

I pulled up a pair of tall black socks and slipped on my old sneakers before grabbing my worn bag

I pulled up a pair of tall black socks and slipped on my old sneakers before grabbing my worn bag. Inside was a game of ddakji, some marbles, and cards. There were a few other things, but I prefer playing the games I mentioned before. I decided to sneak out the back, ignoring Dae's glaring as I gave a cheerful farewell to the kids. It didn't bother me as much anymore when they mumbled curses or insults. Because by the time I pay off my debts, I plan on moving out on my own! I should be old enough to get an actual job by then.

I hummed a random tune as I walked past a fruit vendor, waving a good morning to him as I snuck an apple off the display. I slipped it in my pocket and waited a bit before pulling it out to eat. I decided to head over to the park first, to enjoy some me time before I start work, ya know?
I figured a little swing would be nice, so I headed over to the playground. I sat myself on the swing and slowly kicked off, thinking of a plan.

"Ju-Won is gonna come around noon, I have a good 7 hours or so before 1." I thought out loud, finishing off the stolen apple. "The ass better not beat me up too much. My pretty face needs to be clean if I'm gonna pull any creeps in." I didn't like luring creeps, I hated it actually. But they pay more, and they usually suck at games. And I'm normally much faster than them. It's risky, but I make sure I'm safe. I carry a knife and pepper spray in my bag, anyways. People started walking through the park more, so I decided to start my work. I tossed the apple in the trash and put on a nice smile, ready to start my day of scamming.