"the night i texted you, dalton started yelling at me about how i needed to break off contact with you or he would leave me. i didn't want to break anything off with you, i swear it! bu-but you know how the media views me, and if i broke off two consecutive engagements; could you imagine what they would say about me? i know, i know it's selfish but i was just scared! and dalton was getting so angry with me and i just didn't know what to do!"

   ariana's chest heaved up and down, fat tears running down her cheeks as her voice cracked heavily. "i'm sorry, y/n/n, i'm sorry. i know that you won't believe me or anything, but i just want you to know i didn't mean to hurt you." ariana took a deep breath before continuing, "and i—"

   "ariana, hey. i understand," y/n cut her off, walking closer to the singer. "it's alright. i believe you."

   ariana frowned, wiping her tears even though they just kept falling. "you—you do?" she sobbed, crossing her arms in front of her chest. y/n nodded gently, "yes, i do."

   ariana let out the deepest breath ever, her shoulders relaxing. it had felt like she was carrying the weight of the world on her back for months, and just like always, y/n came and saved the day. "oh thank god. fuck, i missed you so much."

   y/n couldn't help the smile that spread across her lips at ariana's words. she brought her hands up and cupped ariana's cheeks, brushing away the tears that fell down her cheeks with the pads of her thumbs. "i missed you too, pretty."

   ariana blushed heavily at the name, wrapping her arms around y/n's waist as she shoved her head into her chest. y/n brought hers around ariana's petite shoulders, hugging her tightly to her body.

   y/n leaned down, pressing a tender kiss to the top of ariana's head, her fingertips gently brushing over ariana's back. the girl pulled away after a few minutes, wiping her stray tears.

   ariana frowned as she saw the permanent sadness that was etched on y/n's face. "are you doing okay, y/n?" she whispered, running a hand through y/n's hair from the front.

   y/n sighed, shrugging her shoulders. "i'm doing the best i can, i guess." she replied. ariana tilted her head suspiciously. she could tell when y/n was lying; she knew her.

   ariana grabbed the woman's hand, pulling her towards the couch. y/n sat down and ariana sat next to her, turning her body completely towards her. "you wanna talk about it?" ariana whispered, placing her chin on y/n's shoulder.

   y/n looked over at her, "not really. at least not now." she whispered back, gazing into ariana's dark brown eyes. y/n swallowed thickly, feeling her cheeks heat up as she stared at the woman in front of her.

   ariana gave her the brightest smile, cautiously leaning up to kiss the tip of y/n's nose. she pulled back with a blush, admiring the smile that y/n returned because of her gesture.

   "ari, can i play you something?" y/n whispered, her breath fanning over ariana's skin. the singer nodded her head enthusiastically, her teeth digging into her bottom lip as she cheesed.

   y/n giggled as she stood up from the couch, making ariana pout. y/n leaned over her laptop as she scrolled through her files, smiling as she landed on the one song she had been wanting to show ariana the day she started writing it.

y/n clicked on the song and the instrumentals played over the speakers in the studio. she turned back to ariana with a wide smile, excitedly making her way back to the couch.

ariana smiled in anticipation, crossing her legs together as she faced y/n. it was completely silent between the two as y/n's prerecorded voice began to sing through the speakers.