ariana usually booked the studio at the very end of the hall, so her eyes scanned the rest of the names as she made her way the the exit of the building. she stopped walking suddenly, backtracking about five paces back.

she frowned and sighed as she saw y/n's name on the door, knowing that she was just on the other side of the door. she timidly raised her hand, ready to knock, before she heard heavy footsteps approaching her and the door.

ariana looked to her side and dropped her hand. there was a tall man that was waking straight towards her, dressed in sweats and a shirt. his eyebrows furrowed as he saw the small woman standing in front of the door, questioning why she was there.

"oh," ariana laughed awkwardly. "d-do you need in this room?" she asked him, pointing to the door.

the man chuckled and nodded his head, smiling widely. "yeah, i'm meeting my friend. uh, do you need to see her too, or..." he trailed off, squinting his eyes.

ariana giggled, shaking her head. "no, no. i'm sorry, uh, to bother you." she brushed her hair behind her ear before walking away from the man in the direction he came. "it's nice to meet you!"

he watched as ariana turned the corner and left, a suspicious look on his face. he brushed it off anyway and knocked on the door gently, opening it without a response.

"yo, carter! long time no see, man!" he smiled, raising his arms to the singer. y/n glanced up from her phone, a wide smile spreading on her lips.

"miles!" she yelled back with the same enthusiasm, embracing her friend. "by the way, please stop calling me carter," she whispered with a low laugh, patting his back.

they pulled away after a minute, taking their seats on the couch. "why not? everyone called you carter in high school—it suits you." miles spoke, shrugging his shoulders as he raised his feet on the coffee table.

when y/n started dating daisy in her junior year, her popularity boosted and suddenly everyone knew who she was. carter was her mother's last name, and daisy used to call her by it. one day, someone else overheard, and everyone began to call her carter.

y/n brought her legs up in the couch so she sat crisscross applesauce. "dunno," she shrugged. "i guess i just outgrew it."

the two friends sat quietly, basking in the silence.

miles raised his head, slapping y/n's shoulder to gain her attention. "why was ariana grande standing outside your door? she was like standing there all buggy-eyed and shit. was weird."

y/n furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "are—are you sure it was her?" it made absolutely no sense for ariana to be standing outside y/n's studio door, especially after six months of not seeing each other.

y/n can say she missed ariana like hell. she really wished she had ariana there when she and daisy split, because it was one of the hardest times in her life, and the one person she wanted there wasn't there.

"hell yeah i'm sure. that girl fine as hell," miles groaned, shutting his eyes as he smirked to himself. y/n frowned in disgust, slapping miles' stomach.

"don't talk about her like that, man."

——

ariana huffed as she arrived home, slamming the front door behind her. she braced herself for dalton to come busting through, but he never came.

she furrowed her eyebrows, confused as to why he wasn't running up to her complaining about something. "dalton?" she called out his name, stripping her feet of her shoes.

there was no response as ariana walked into the living room, still no sign of her fiancé. ariana grew even more confused, but her confusion turned into surprise as she entered their dining room, her eyes meeting dalton's.

the lights were off but there were candles everywhere, food lined the table, and at the very head stood dalton, a single rose in his hand. ariana laughed awkwardly, "dalton, what's all this?"

dalton just smiled at her, "i haven't been appreciating you lately like i should be. and i'm so sorry about that, but i promise you i'm going to be better for you. i love you so much, and i just want you to be happy."

"i'm going to make everything up to you, ariana, i swear it." dalton walked towards a stunned ariana, grabbing her left hand in his. "i proposed to you for a reason. i love you, ariana."

ariana just stared blankly at him, her eyes filling with tears. everything he had said was everything she wanted him to say—but it was too late. ariana didn't feel that spark anymore; she didn't feel those butterflies she used to get when dalton told her that he loved her.

she had no words, so all she could do was nod.

dalton took this as a good sign as his smile grew and he leaned down, embracing ariana's lips in a passionate kiss. ariana felt nothing.

instead, she closed her eyes and imagined the one person she really wanted.

——

😁

i love youuuuu <3333