"Yeah, don't worry--it's only broken once," Candi said.

"She's kidding," Trinity said.

"Or we could go to the lake," Brittney said. 

"I hope you all are planning to pay attention to our actual activities." Nancy looked back. "You know church camp isn't just about fun."

One of the other girls, Tracey, rolled her eyes behind Nancy's head.

"Whatever," she said when Nancy had walked out of range. "My parents make me come to this every year, but the only part I really like is the games--and all the cute boys, of course."

Candi giggled.

Jubilee was surprised to hear this. "You guys don't want to come to learn about God and stuff?"

They laughed at her.

"Geez, Jewels, you always such a perfect, little, good girl?" Tracey snorted. "I get enough of that at home. At least here I don't get drilled about it. It's fine to get away from it for a while."

"Once I'm old enough, I won't go to church at all," Leah agreed. "It's all right when you're a kid, but I'm over it."

Candi shrugged. "It gets dull sometimes..." She didn't seem totally comfortable with it.

Brittney and Trinity said nothing, and Jubilee thought they looked uncomfortable also.

"But why do you all go at all if you don't like it?" Jubilee said.

"Duh, 'cause we don't have a choice," Tracey said. "Why do you go? You actually like it?"

"I...I mean, it's interesting. It's kind of new to me," Jubilee said.

"Well, if it makes you happy," Candi dismissed it. "That's cool and all. It's just..."

"Not our thing," Leah finished. "But that's cool and all."

They started talking amongst themselves about school stuff.

"Don't listen to them," Trinity said to Jubilee. "They just don't get it."

"I knew some kids at the orphanage who used to go to church with their foster families," Jubilee said. "They talked just like that. I guess kids our age don't think this is cool."

"My mom says they're just rebelling," Brittney said.

"You never want to do that?" Jubilee said.

"I guess my parents have dumb rules," Brittney said. "But that's got nothing to do with church. My dad says we can do what we want when we're 18...but I think I already know. I mean, God is real, right? I like going to church anyway."

"So you never...you know, wonder if it's not real?" Jubilee said.

"You're so serious." Brittney giggled

Trinity, always the more sober minded of the two of them, shrugged. "I think everyone wonders that, Jewels. I mean, even my parents and pastors say they do. But...I mean, do you just outgrow something if it's true? You gotta decide for yourself and not just cause some other kids think it's dumb. I think God's for everybody."

"You're so deep," Brittney giggled.

"Well, at least I think about it," Trinity said. "Come on, we've been doing some dangerous stuff. If we're not gonna be serious about it, why are we doing it?"

"No, you're right, I guess," Brittney said quickly. "Just feels weird to be so serious all the time, like an old lady. Camp is supposed to be fun. We're talking like it's a school field trip. Loosen up a little."