18- I Never Meant to Hurt You

Start from the beginning

"I'm not trying to, I don't even know what I'm doing... I just know you think I'm still running from something..."

"It's not just you anymore, it's him too..." 

Him? 

...

Basil...

Stranger seemed to read his thoughts as he nodded and turned away, "I can't fix you or flower boy... this is for you two to figure out..."

"Can't you at least help out?"

Stranger gritted his teeth, "The only thing I can do, you won't like, and it'll only confuse you more..."

"Well it's a risk I'll take..." I shot back. Stranger passed his gaze across me, assessing me. Maybe trying to decide if I was actually ready for whatever it is he could show me.

"Well don't say I didn't warn you..." He finally said, walking towards me. I nodded. He returned the nod, spun on his heel and motioned for me to follow.

* * *

The cold, glowing gazes of other stranger's still followed us as we walked. It wasn't nearly as unnerving as it was before, but it still made me uncomfortable. 

Stranger walked until he reached the Black Space version of our old hideout.

"Why are we here...?" I asked. Stranger paused, glancing back at me, "Don't ask questions, just follow..." 

Ok?

That was odd. But I did as he said. He began to make his way around the lake until he was standing at about the middle area of the lake.

He turned to look at me, "Get in, and don't panic... you'll see things, and if you start to panic, I'm pulling you out..."

"Stranger... I can't swim..." I muttered. Stranger gave me an annoyed look, "Do you trust me or not...?"

To be honest, I wasn't sure I trusted the shadowy variation of my friend, but he was really all I had right now. "Fine..." I said after a moments hesitation. I stared down at my own reflection. I looked tired, and uncertain.

Thanks for being reassuring, me...

I closed my eyes, took a breath and hopped in.

The water around me was cold. Really cold. Not the kind of cold that water normally was, but ice cold. It swished uncomfortably around me and I was already starting to freak out.

Calm down, it's fine...

It wasn't fine, but I was really good at lying to myself. And in this case, that worked in my favor. 

Open you eyes. A voice spoke. It sounded like it came from all around me. It was a small, echoey voice that seemed to bounce around the floor and sides of the lake.

I did what it said. The only thing I saw was darkness. Some light was let in from the water above, but it barely reached my eyes.

Am I sinking or floating? Does it matter? Can I drown here? And if I do, what will that do to me in real life? Mm, don't think about that... Stranger said not to panic.

So I tried to stay calm and kept my eyes open, waiting. Waiting to see something.

After only a few seconds that felt like hours, the world around me shifted. I was standing on solid ground. Four blurry figures stood in front of me. Those four figures I assumed to be my friends. They turned towards me and smiled for only a moment before the world around them went dark. One enormous, bloodshot eye loomed over them.

They screamed as shadows enveloped them. Sudden flashes of color, and then darkness filled my gaze, faces and lines blurring together in ways that made no sense to my mind. Screams, so many screams rang in my ears.

If I could've screamed, I would've, but then it all stopped. I was alone, facing a very familiar someone. Basil. Only he wasn't facing me. He was staring down at the ground, hands over his face. Gentle sobs coursed though his body.

Basil...?

My own thought seemed to echo in the room. Basil didn't respond. I slowly stepped towards him until I was just in front of him. He was shaking and I suddenly noticed that along with tears, blood was slipping through his hands.

I couldn't speak, so I just grabbed his hands to try and see what had happened, but he shrieked and tore himself away from me.

Basil, what happened...

Basil slowly dropped his shaking, bloody hands from his face. He didn't look up though.

Basil... please show me what happened...

Basil looked up after a moment and I was very startled by what I saw. His whole face was covered in blood, his eyes had a terrifyingly manic look to them- or- his eye...

The other one looked exactly like mine. Or the one I now lacked...

"You did this..." He said in a voice filled with more hatred than I knew was even possible of him.

"You killed Mari... you left me behind... you hurt everyone... you. Hurt. Me..." He said, all in the same hate filled voice.

N-No, I-

Before I could respond, the vision tore away and suddenly someone was dragging me back towards the surface of the water.

Next thing I knew, I was back at the surface, gasping for air. I didn't even have time to ask questions because suddenly I was awake, still gasping for air and in a cold sweat.

Those visions helped nothing... nothing made anymore sense than it had before I saw them... but my main question...

What did I do to Basil...?

A/N: I don't know if this chapter was good, but uh, hi. You get more confusion.