My eyes drift away from him and well to the cage.
There I saw it.
The dragon, but...
It wasn't anything like I expected.
It was small with lustrous white fur with some strands ending suddenly in black streaks. Its small, rounded muzzle and pair of vibrant blue eyes gave it this cute and unimposing look to it.
It stared at me as I stared back at it.

I glanced back to my father who didn't seem pleased I was ignoring him.
Distraction.
I motion my gaze over to the cage, and this shifts both the general and fathers' attention away from me and towards the little dragon.
Sorry, little guy.
But you seem to be a bigger fish than me right now.
It rolled over to all fours and sat itself up while looking at as.
It scratched its ears with its front paw flipping it over much like a cat would.
"How long do you think it was awake?" the general whispered to my father.
"Who knows. It might not have been asleep at all and playing possum." My father whispered back.

Those two were back into their conversation again.
Well, that's fine with me.
Afterall, this was a good chance.
This dragon seemed extremely young and docile.
Perhaps if I can appeal to its better nature, I might be able to get something like dragon tamer or something similar.
I hear a small growl.
The dragon looks on edge now, with its guard up.
Could it sense my dark thoughts?
Must've sensed them, right?
Let's try being friendly.
"Come here little fella.~" I said softly to it, giving a small beckoning motion to it.
It looked at me weary, as if trying to figure out something, before approaching me.
Success.
"That's it. That's it." I say, putting my hand past the bars.
It got close to the bars and sat down in front of my hand.
It didn't get too close with my hand on its side like this.
If I turn it flat, will it be better?
It still looked at my hand confused.
"Come on. I won't hurt you." I tell it softly.
>"I'm not gonna sniff it if that's what you're waiting for."<
I blink, surprised by the sudden child-like voice I heard.
Even more so than that, the fact that it sounded like a beast growling at me, which made sense considering its source.

The little white dragon, now yawning and not even paying attention to me just...
"You...can talk?" I say dumbfounded.
It glanced over at me and then at my hand.
It then huffed before placing its large claw in my palm.
It was big and smooth on its palms.
I was half expecting its claws to be more like a cat or dog given its ears.
No, wait.
How was it able to talk right now?
Even more so, dad and the general didn't even bat an eye.
Can all dragons do this?
This is the first time I've ever seen a beast or monster speak.
Even though I've seen some movies with dragons talking, I never expected one to talk to me.
Also its paw is really soft and smooth.
It's like grabbing hold of a sheep's wool or rubbing smooth velvet between your fingers.
On top of which it feels so warm and comfortable just being in my hand.

>"Okay, enough of that."<
The dragon pulled its claw away from my hand and knocked me out of that trance.
"Oh come on little dragon just a little longer.~" I whine to it.
It didn't listen, returning back to its original spot before lying down.
I clicked my tongue before standing myself back up.
Dad seems to be thinking of something.
"Ernamaria."
I shudder and look towards my father.
"Y-Yes father?" I responded.
"We'll talk about your disobedience later." He looked over at my hand and then me before asking. "Were you satisfied with your visit here?"

I didn't respond to him that time, but if I was being honest I wasn't.
Even meeting that dragon didn't spark anything.
Well, that's not entirely true.
Just watching him outside, I can tell it doesn't speak to anyone else.
So why me?
...
"I have to find out."

...

...

I'm here again.
If dad finds out I'm in a place like this again I'll get in so much trouble.
But I have to find out the reasons for this.
I look down at the white furred creature in front of me.
Its blue eyes looking up at my own as if trying to figure out what I'm doing.
No time like the present.