8 | Eyes

It's been five years since the Shiganshina incident. Since then, the city hasn't been inhabited, completely abandoned other than Titans occasionally wandering in.

I couldn't get the image of that kid out of my head. The way the light in his eyes faded. He didn't look related to any of the adults running towards Wall Maria, so I knew that whatever—or rather whoever—he was looking at was likely his parents.

I rubbed my temples with my eyes shut. I was instructed to protect the people but I let some slip through my fingers.

"Captain."

I looked up and saw my door creak open, one of the Scouts walking through the door. "There's an issue in the stables and Commander Erwin told me to inform you of it."

"Right. Thank you." I am praying none of them are pregnant. I waited for the scout to leave before standing up and making my way to the stables.

Thankfully, none of them were pregnant. If one of them were, I'd have to be on the case of who bred them, which would be a lot more troublesome than two horses escaping the stables.

I got to the stables and saw the two open gates, a sigh leaving my mouth as I walked over to see which horses escaped. Rune and Wrye. For some reason, it wasn't unexpected. Their owners died outside the walls not long ago, and I feel like they just don't know yet.

"Cinder." I unlatched his stall and he trotted out, nudging his nose on his saddle hanging off of the gate. I placed it on his back and adjusted it just before getting on and grabbing his reigns. "Let's find them."

We rode around for about an hour. I didn't think they would actually run this far.

I let out one more whistle and finally, Rune came running towards me. I held out my hand and she buried her nose into it. "Are you looking for Chris...?" Her ear twitched at the sound of her owner's name and I sighed. "Sorry. I don't think you'll be seeing him anytime soon."

Now to find Wrye.

After guiding Rune back to the stable, I went to look for Wrye. He was always a free soul, same as his rider, June. I remember first watching them ride together, and I knew I made the right choice. They match each other's energy perfectly.

Well, they did.

"Wrye!" I whistled again, but instead of a horse, I heard an aggravated grunt and then a horse. It came from the Cadet Training grounds.

I... really hated going there. But Wrye did meet his owner there when she was out practicing her ODM gear skills. I'd expect him to go there often after the incident.

I got off Cinder and walked over to the drop off where you could look over the Cadet Training Grounds. Then I stopped.

"Dammit, why can't I get it?!"

The boy from five years ago was... trying to operate the ODM gear. I pressed my lips together, unsure if I should go down and get Wrye or if I should just whistle. Either way, the boy was going to notice me.

What if... he remembered me? Remembered me as the person who couldn't save his family?

I slowly stepped down the path towards the Cadet Training grounds and he immediately noticed me walking down, lowering his feet to the ground.

I took Wrye's reigns, avoiding eye contact with the boy. Get the horses and return them to the stables. Those were my orders.

He watched me leave for a little while until he returned to his training, trying to stay upright on the machine. There was something odd about it. It made an odd jingling noise when he'd flip over, and his form was perfectly fine yet he kept falling. But I didn't mention anything.