Chapter 2

I've not always been on my own. I'm not on the run because my family was slaughtered, or that I was forced into a marriage, or that I was a rebellious child. I'm on my own because my mother left and my father passed away. I have no family left. My father was my only friend and that was all that I needed. He was an ex soldier for the kings army, and he left to bring me up. I know he regretted this decision everyday of his life. He turned his anger and regret into training me. Everyday, without fail, would start at 4am, with a 5 mile run, followed by combat and wolf training, after lunch, we would sit down and he would teach me how to hack, how to code. By the time I was 16, I could outrun my father, beat him in every fight and was a better marksman. I knew Russian and the languages of coding. 

My father was a big wolf, towering over, he used his strength to win battles and fights. He taught me to fight with stealth and quickness as my wolf is smaller than most. He was always worried about the size of my wolf, but I learnt to use my smallness. Many underestimate the small ones, they view them as weak and easy prey. My father used to say, "being small doesn't mean you are weaker, Nanou, it means your strength is hidden".

My father passed away on 21st December 2013, a month before my 18th birthday. I should have sensed it, he was ill for many years, growing weaker everyday as I grew stronger. I put it down to his age, never realising that I was only beating him because his body was giving up.

Taking my laptop and a few clothes, I left my home after burying my father and never looked back.