Chapter Fourteen | Caught?

James just about manages to pull up his jeans by the time the door opens. His belt is still undone, and I step back in an attempt to disassociate myself from him. It's a useless act, of course. It's pretty damn obvious what's been going on here and the smirk on Freddie's face would suggest there's no hiding from it.

"I fucking knew it!"

I desperately look to James for help.

"How long has this been going on?"

"It hasn't," I insist. "James was just helping me with something."

"In your panties?"

"Freddie," warns James, squaring up to his older brother. "Don't start."

"I asked you a question."

"And it's none of your business," he replies.

I deliberately keep my mouth shut.

"You could get fired."

"I won't," argues James, adamant.

Freddie looks at me, narrowing his gaze. "Does Nikki know?"

Oh, God!

"No," I say, feeling ashamed.

"She's your friend. Shouldn't she know?"

"Don't do that," hisses James, coming to stand beside me in a gesture of support. "Don't use our sister like that."

"I'm not using her."

"Yes, you are! Be fucking honest for once and admit the real reason you're angry."

"Why am I angry, Jamie?"

His tone is light, mocking him.

"You're jealous!"

"Jealous?"

"Yes. You've wanted Sloan ever since meeting her," insists James. "You can't stand the thought of her being with me instead."

I rest my hand on James' arm, needing him to calm down.

"Hardly," he replies, smirking. "Sure, she's a pretty face. But her tits let her down."

Without warning, James swings for him and cracks him in the nose. Freddie—give him his due—takes it like a champ, wiping blood from his nostril. He recovers his balance and smiles, looking between us.

"That confirms it."

"Confirms what?" snaps James, clenching his fists.

"I was testing you to see if you'd fight for her." He smooths out the creases in his shirt. "I've never seen you like this before, Jamie. Especially over a woman."

James blinks, slotting together the pieces of Freddie's cruel game.

"You'd never admit it to me, so I had to conduct my own experiment."

I huff. "Well, next time, leave my tits out of it!"

James laughs and I join him, glad my comment can relieve some of the tension. Even Freddie chuckles, though his broken nose makes it difficult.

"Fuck! I can't believe you hit me."

"Talk shit about my girl and that's what you get."

Hearing him refer to me as his girl sends all sorts of emotions running through me.

"I better clean up," suggests Freddie. "See you both back downstairs?"

James nods and I say nothing, still a little stunned to comprehend actual words. Freddie exits, leaving us alone, and I immediately bury my face in James' chest, sighing as I do so.