1

No matter the person, everyone has a different type of reaction to loss. Sometimes its instant, other times a person won't recognize it until later on. But what makes a difference on how you handle that loss is if you have other people to guide you through.

Sadly, that wasn't the case for Reia.

When she first heard about it, she wasn't prepared. Reia was laying on the couch, baggy clothes layering over the ones she had used for work. Stuck in her exhausted daze, she didn't recognize that she forgot to take them off. As a plastic surgeon, her hours weren't too bad, but today of all days seemed to be the worst of it.

As Reia blankly watched her TV, a knock rapped on her door, causing her to slowly look at it.

Bruh, come on. I'm not even answering that.

She ignored it. While she tried focusing back on her TV, another set of knocks caused her to audibly groan. Getting up, Reia yawned as she went on the edge of her toes to reach the peephole. She rose an eyebrow at who it was, but opened the door.

"James, what are you doing here? It's like..." she looked at her clock, "2 a.m. in the morning?"

The man in front of her didn't meet her gaze. His light brown hair was disheveled, and the clothes he was wearing was just a normal white shirt with some regular pajama clothes. She guessed he didn't have time to dress up, but for what?

"Reia," he began, deeply sighing before looking up at her, "it-it's your parents. They're gone."

But that wasn't the moment she shattered. No. The girl could only stare at her family lawyer as he tried to get the details across to her. James wanted her to come with him to the hospital that just picked her parents up, which is why he was there. Apparently, they wanted her to confirm their identities and whatnot. All Reia did at the time was blankly follow.

The next few weeks didn't get any easier. On top of her work, she had to go over the will that her parents left her. That big house in addition to the land surrounding it that she always visited when she had time. The house that she didn't want to touch.
Reia buried herself in her work. As for her friends, some of her co-workers noticed the sudden change, and when they asked her about what was wrong, she didn't give them a direct answer.

"Please Reia, I know there's something wrong. Talk to us," Jaiden would beg her.
Reia looked around at her co-workers. Their eyebrows were scrunched up, and some of them had a hand on their shoulder as they waited for her answer. She gave them a small smile.

"It's nothing! Just a little tired. But thanks for your concern."

It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't a complete truth either. Reia tried not to think about it, but it didn't do much. Once she got home, a glint of silver caused her to look in that direction. An unfamiliar key sat near the key holders, and a little note was next to it.

Just think about it, the note said.

Reia frowned. Picking it up, she studied the lightly faded object in her hand. When James told her about the house, she downright told him no. She didn't want to see it. She just couldn't. Her parents were her rock. They were her everything, and then suddenly they...they were gone. It was too much for her to bare alone, and no one was there to help her.

But...it was her parents' home. They've left everything under Reia's name for her to care for. She was the only person who could take care of her parent's things now. So, after putting it off for nearly a month, she finally decided to go.

Taking her phone, a bag with some clothes, and the key that she now hung around her neck, Reia drove for three hours to the distant small town her parents lived in before arriving at the house.