28. Forget Me Not

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry," she pressed her lips together and lowered her head. Now her hair was on the side of her face, and thankfully, the strands helped her sad eyes get covered behind them. It wasn't the first time anyone had been disappointed in her, but still, it hurt even more. Because this man, Yaga Masamichi, was the one who accepted her into that school and allowed her to have a permanent roof over her head and a little family around after years.

"How long were you planning on not telling me?" His voice wasn't angry at all, and somehow Y/N wished he could yell at her, curse her, or something like that because she could assimilate it more easily than the frustration of his tone. He wasn't furious; he was sorry.

"I wanted to hide it whenever I could." There was nothing left to lie about. Everybody knew everything or got to know everything sooner or later. But who could predict what might happen next? Expel? Exile? Arrest? Worst of all, the execution? After all, what she had done was worthy of the harshest punishment under the laws of the jujutsu world.

"This issue will not pass unnoticed by the Higher Ups," he removed his glasses, rubbing his eyes. "I can't even imagine the reaction of the head of the Gojo family and the elders. They won't tolerate it at all."

The blood in her veins froze, and shivers fell down her spine. Did the room get cold? The room was probably cold, or why should Y/N tremble?

"He is the heir of six eyes, the holder of the limitless technique and the future head of the Gojo clan, while from their point of view, you are a cursed womb. A half curse. A murderer. They won't understand this." He closed his eyes. When and where did the whole thing go off the rails?

And was that a sin?

Y/N's hands tightened, and her knuckles went white. If anyone looked, they would see that her nails were digging into her bare skin. Old habits never die. She used to grip something or gasp her fist tightly to the point where blood could be drawn from it. If Satoru were there, he wouldn't allow it. He wasn't there, though, was he?

It didn't seem to matter how much Satoru whispered in her ear that she was the most beautiful creature in the world because apparently, she was just a beautiful human being in his eyes. She was always supposed to remain in the minds of others like a monster.

That's what Toji said. Sorcerers accepted nobody but themselves. And unfortunately, Y/N wasn't the same as them. No. Not at all.

Tears slowly slipped over her cheeks, leaving damp spots on the blanket.

Cry.

Cry.

Cry.

Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday. She wasn't upset with Yaga. He was the only one who had told her the truth. The truth that was forgotten by all.

"Is it so hard?" She sighed, leaning back to the cold metallic headboard behind her.

Yaga stared at her, frowning so slightly, "is what so hard?"

"To accept me," she looked at the traces of her nails in her palm, glancing over at him. "Could it really be so hard to accept someone like me?"

He bit the inner corner of his left cheek and squeezed his eyes shut in hopes that it might stop him from saying anything he would regret. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees while tying his fingers together. He let out a small whisper as he reopened his eyes. "Perhaps."

She turned her face towards the window. The saddest part was realizing that she had fallen madly in love with what could never be. Was crying a remedy to the pain? Was the sky rainier or her eyes?