the one where alex and simone leave

Depuis le début

"Of course, Layla." Alex joked, going along with the bet. 

All three women were halfway down the stairs when Alex's grip of one of the suitcases slipped and it went tumbling down to the bottom with a loud thud. That's when Don and Asher frantically met them at the bottom of the staircases with startled expressions. 

"What happened?" Asher asked concerned. 

Alex smiled sheepishly. "One of the suitcases slipped from my hand." 

"'Course it did, butter fingers." The Adams boy patted his friend on the shoulder which resulted in him being jabbed in the ribs for his remark. He winced in pain and rubbed the spot where he was hit. Alex hummed in satisfaction. 

"You could've asked for help." Don told them, putting his hands on his hips, and sighing relief that no one was hurt. 

Raquel rolled her eyes at her older brother. "We're independent women, Don. We don't need no man."

He rolled his eyes at his little sister's comment. "Says the newly divorced woman." 

Everyone gathered outside to say their goodbyes. Alex said bye to JJ, Spencer, and Jordan yesterday. Asher decided to come over today instead and Layla followed along with him because she had a studio session with a new artist. Coop, Patience, and Olivia said goodbye two days ago.

"I can't believe you're leaving California," Layla pouted bringing Alex into a tight hug. "I'm gonna miss you." 

"I can't believe it either," She mumbled into her shoulder. "I'm gonna miss you too, Lay." 

"Call me as soon as you get there and let me know if you end up talking to him." She replied back as they pulled away from each other. Layla was talking about Damon Sims who Alex hadn't talked to since April. They left things on a sour note. 

"We'll see." Alex shrugged and moved onto Asher. 

"You're really doing this. Junior year Alex had her eyes set on LMU's film program." Asher said as they hugged. Alex rubbed his back and pulled away. 

"Well, I guess present Alex decided it was time to explore the world," She responded with a smile. Asher helped a lot when it came down to the decision of which university she was going to attend. Alex got into a two UC's, USC, LMU, GAU where Spencer, Liv, and Jordan were going, Coastal where Asher and JJ were going, and Bringston. Asher was biased and tried to get her to Coastal, but from the way Alex's eyes lit up when she talked about Bringston, he knew she was meant to be there. "Thanks for everything, Ash." 

"You're welcome, Lex. Thanks for being there for me when I felt alone and helpless." In the past couple of years, Asher went through a lot. There was a time where he went MIA for a bit and that made Alex worry for him. She reached out to him one day and he opened up to her about his struggles. Alex helped him through it and in return he was there for her when her parents were going through their divorce and in April during her debut (deh-boo). 

"No problem. I'm proud of you." 

"Come on, kid. If we don't leave now, you and Simone are gonna miss your flight." Don said with a slight frown. He knew his niece was gonna miss home.

Alex nodded to her uncle and turned back to her two friends. Her eyes began to water. "I'm gonna miss you guys so much. If you need me I am only a phone call away." She brought both Layla and Asher into a hug. This hug was tight and comforting.

Layla was the first to pull away, wiping the tears that would soon fall from her eyes if their hug was any longer. "Alright you should go. I might start crying soon and I have a meeting in thirty minutes." They all laughed. Asher rubbed Layla's shoulder. Alex walked over to say goodbye to her mom.

"Just be you, okay?" Raquel said putting her hands on her daughter's shoulders.

"Okay." Alex replied back and gave her mom a hug.

"Aiden and I will visit soon," Raquel told her. "I love you, baby."

"I love you too, mom." Soon Alex, Don, and Aiden were on their way to the airport. As soon was Don's car pulled out of the driveway and onto the road, Alex looked back one more time. There stood Raquel, Layla, and Asher looking at the car ahead. Alex felt ready. She was ready to start a new chapter of her life.

-

With their suitcases and carry ons in hand, it was time for Alex and Simone to leave for Atlanta. "I'll see you soon, kid. Be safe." Don said, bringing Alex into a hug.

"Thanks for everything, Uncle Don." She hugged back, burying her head into his shoulder. She pulled away and looked to her brother who had a frown his face.

"Can't I go with you to Atlanta?" The recent 11 year old asked.

"If I could, I would bring you to Bringston with me, but you still have school, and you have to take care of mom," She said. Suddenly Alex felt herself almost fall back as Aiden gave her the tightest hug he could muster up. Don and Simone smiled as they watched the scene in front of them.

"Promise me you'll call everyday." Aiden let go of his sister and held out his pinky. Alex hooked her pinky around his.

"I promise." She kissed her hand and so he kissed his.

"Come on, Aiden, it's time to go now." Don said give him a sympathetic smile. Aiden sadly nodded and looked to Simone.

"Take care of her for me, will you?" Alex felt herself tearing up. The one big thing she had to think about was leaving her little brother. She was pretty close to not going to Bringston, so she could be home with Aiden, but he told her he wouldn't talk to his big sister if she didn't go to Atlanta. 

"I will." Simone replied back with a smile. Her eyes a little glossy as Aiden brought her into a hug. He pulled away and stood next to his uncle. 

Don gave Alex one last kiss on her head and they drove off.

"You ready?" Alex looked at Simone.

She smiled. "Always."

cieara says...
yay!!! first official chapter is up! i've been so busy with school that i haven't had much time to write, but this has been in my drafts for so long that i need to publish it. also all american and aa: homecoming is finally back. i've missed them so much.