Chapter 2 Diagon Alley

Start from the beginning

"Excuse me, is this where I can get some robes. I'm a bit lost and overhead you when you mentioned robes." I asked the man politely. When he looked at me he seemed to plaster a forced smile on, I knew this smile well from some of those he had tried to adopt me at the orphanage, a smile that was kind but underneath they were not.

"Argh, Yes. We were just about to head in there ourselves," He headed towards the shop and pulled open the door, "Let's talk inside shall we, Ladies first." I walked in with a small nod and thank you. "I am Lucius Malfoy- "before he could finish the boy stepped forward and put his hand out as if inquiring me to shake it as he cut in.

"I'm Draco, Draco Malfoy." I shook his hand studying him, his pale blond hair was combed back with what looked to be a form of hair gel, he held a smirk on his face as he looked back me, his confident was quite high.

"Bri" I replied lowering my hand. I could tell both Lucius and Draco were confused by my answer as I had not told them my last name. Lucius also looked like he was analysing me, as if he was trying to understand if he knew me or I looked like some he knew. I on the other hand after glancing at Draco one last time gazed around the shop, it was quite a nice shop with what looked to some rooms that I presumed would be dressing rooms and storage space. I hadn't had time to fully identify the room before Draco interrupted my thoughts.

"Is that the first or last name?" He still looked confused but also extremely curious.

"Bri is my first name."

"What is your last name?" with this comment I looked at him full on.

"I do not go by my last name due to the fact I do not with to be socialised with the man of which it comes from." I replied confidently but grimaced at the last part. Draco just nodded still confused. A silence decided to linger before Lucius's voice cut through it like a knife.

"What school are you attending? Draco will be going to Hogwarts."

"Same, Hogwarts. Are you a first year too Draco?" I asked him

"Yes, I am a first year, what house do you think you will be in?"

"House? I'm not sure, Professor Dumbledore didn't tell me about houses." I frowned trying to remember if he had. I remember when he told me about Hogwarts and magic, I was excited but also scared what if people hated me at Hogwarts like the people at the orphanage do.

Draco then started telling me about the four Hogwart houses. Slytherin's were known for ambition, leadership, self-preservation, cunning and resourcefulness. Draco seemed to talk about Slytherin as if he knew he would be in it. Gryffindor valued bravery, daring, nerve and chivalry, Draco seemed to sneer at this house and didn't talk much about it. He then proceeded to talk of the other two. Ravenclaw were known for intelligence, knowledge, curiosity, creativity and wit. Hufflepuff's were hard workers, dedicated, patient, loyal and valued fair play. All the houses seemed equally good to me, each had good traits and values.

Soon enough Madam Malkin came to get me to get fitted. I gave a nod and a thank you and goodbye to Lucius and Draco before I followed her.

After I left the store I headed to get my books. Grabbing all of what I need plus a few other books for higher advanced classes as well as some that looked interesting like Quidditch through the ages, creatures of mythology and magic, a book of Advanced potions and one which had a number of interesting and advanced spells and charms that weren't school based. I also decided while I was in there to get some ink and parchment sets. And the other equipment on the list.

Finishing up I headed for a place that contained animals and I chose a midnight black owl which I named her Eve. I then headed for the last thing on my list, a wand. Searching around I bumped into Draco, both of us fell over.

"Watch- Oh it's you, sorry." He said as he brushed himself off and helped me up. "Where are you headed next? I was just about to get my wand from Ollivander's." He boasted.

"Oh, I was looking to get my wand next too, it's the last thing on my list." I replied after thanking him for helping me up.

"Come with us." Lucius commanded before turning on his heels towards a shop and opening the door for us to enter. Inside there was a desk and a lot of boxes on shelves behind it.

"Argh, hello Mr Malfoy. Now who are you two, are you hear to get your wands?" A main came from behind the shelves on a ladder greeted Lucius before turning to Draco and I.

"Hello Ollivander, yes this is my son Draco Malfoy," Lucius then gestured to me, "This is Bri, she will also be purchasing a wand today."

"Young Mr Malfoy you first, you first." Ollivander declares as he goes back behind the shelf before remerging again with a few boxes. Draco tried a few making things break and explode before he finally found one that lit up his touch.

"Well done Mr Malfoy that is wand is 10 centimetres of hawthorn wood with a unicorn hair, that one is reasonably pliant, Use it well. Bri your turn." Ollivander stated before disappearing again. A few more boxes in hand, he pulled out one and gave it to me. As I took the wand, my vision blurred for a few seconds as Ollivander gasps at me. He looked at me as if he knew who I was.

"Thankyou, sir,' I gratefully said taking the wand, whispering I lowered my voice,"You know who my father is don't you?" He nodded with a terrified look in hiseyes, "I figured as much, please don't be frightened. I hate my father, I grew up in an orphanage and I have heard of all the horrid things he has done. I will never support him or join him if he was to ever return." Ollivander nodded briefly satisfied with my answer.

I then proceeded to test a numerous number of wands each rejecting me in turn. As I came to the last one Ollivander had grabbed moments before with a hesitant look on his face, I hoped this one would be the wand, I was growing anxious and annoyed, I had gone through at least twenty wands already. My hands touched the wand, a shiver overcame my body. I felt powerful, confident and I knew this was the wand as a glow surrounded me.

"Well done Miss R- err Bri. That wand has yew wood and a dragon heart-string. Use it well. I can see you are destined for great things." Ollivander words staggered as he spoke. He had almost said my last name.

"Thank you, sir. And thank you Mr Malfoy and Draco. I must be headed back to my orphanage now." Draco gave me a horrid and confused look.

"Orphanage are you a muggle born mud blood." Draco sneered at me.

"No, I'm a what you call it, a half-blood. My mother is a pure blood but my father was a half-blood, most people believe he was a pure blood even though he lied to them. Well I'm not quite sure about my father, it depends on who you ask really. I've been in the orphanage since I was about one years old. I hate it there but Dumbledore said I had to stay there at least till school starts." I stated with an icy glare at Draco for his rudeness. Draco gave me a guilty look, muttered a sorry then looked down at his feet as if they the most interesting thing in the world at this point of time. "I'm guessing you don't agree with muggle borns than, that's ok that's your opinion, but I suggest you don't be rude about it either. I don't care about stupid blood status." I rolled my eyes, gave the money for my wand to Ollivander, then said as I walked out the door, "Thank you. See you at school Draco.

****

I headed back to the orphanage, I arranged my things in order packing them into a trunk I had also purchased. For the rest of the month I studied about everything I would need to know at Hogwarts and even more. I was ready and excited to go to Hogwarts to finally leave this horrid place. I was an outcast here except for a couple of younger kids who loved it when I read them stories, they had both got adopted though, the rest of the people and staff tried to avoid me as much as possible. It hurt to know that they didn't like me, that I had no one who truly wanted me. Hogwarts was a chance to prove myself that I belonged somewhere and that I could do anything I wished.