Chapter 5: Moving Upstate

A/N: Hey guys, before we jump into the chapter just a quick little update. I feel like I'm always apologizing for not posting in forever, but life has gotten in the way I do really like to have my editor read these through before I post them, so that makes it take a bit longer to get chapters posted, but anyway here we are! I hope you guys like this chapter! 

Matilda awoke with a scream as she sat up in bed. She was gasping for air and felt a thin layer of sweat covering her body. She ran her hands through her hair as she tried to calm her racing heart. The dreams were getting worse. Each night, they were starting to feel more and more real. She took a deep breath, starting to ground herself. She looked around her room, counting anything she could find, putting her mind back in the present. She glanced at her alarm clock on the bed side table and the large red lined numbers read 5:47AM. The sky outside her window was starting to lighten with the sun that would soon break the horizon. Steve stirred next to her; he pulled the pillow he was holding closer to his body, as his other arm brought the pillow under his head into his shoulder. He hadn't seemed to be disturbed by her screaming. He was so peaceful sleeping, compared to her dream of Bucky. Thinking of Bucky and the dream made her stomach turn as the feeling of falling and being strangled resurfaced. In an instant, the room felt like it was closing in on her. She quickly, yet quietly, got out of bed and headed toward her bedroom door, grabbing a sweatshirt on the way. Turning to close her bedroom door she stared back at Steve. His hair tousled from sleep didn't hang in his face like Bucky's did, his blond hair a stark opposite of the assassin's. Her heart skipped and her stomach turned. She needed to get air. Now.

The sunrise over New York City was always Matilda's favorite thing to watch. Pinks, oranges, and yellows painted the sky as the dark buildings made up the city scape. The cool breeze of the morning air felt good on her warm face, easing the anxiety in her chest as she took a deep breath of it. She leaned against the balcony railing and peered over the side and looked down. Employees were starting to arrive at Stark tower, normal people going about their normal days, at their normal job. A surprised feeling of jealousy toward those people washed over her. She loved her life the way that it was, so why was she now so envious of those small ant-like people now? The balcony door opened to reveal Steve, white t-shirt and baggy sweats, holding two steaming cups.

"Can I join you?" Steve said.

Matilda nodded, and Steve walked toward her. Steve handed her one of the mugs, bringing a smile to her face.

"You weren't there when I woke up, so I figured I would come find you," he said.

"With coffee?"

He blushed. "Okay. Maybe I knew where you were already, and I just wanted to bring my girl something. Is that so wrong?"

Matilda's heart leapt at him calling her 'his girl'. The way that the rising sun was hitting Steve made his face glow. She imagined him in ancient paintings of angels or saints, how they were always depicted with white auras around them. She reached her handout and stroked the side of his face, reassuring herself that he was indeed there with her on the balcony and not just a figment of her imagination.

"No, there isn't." Leaning her head against his shoulder.

Steve wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer to him. They stayed like that for a while, watching as the sun rose higher into the sky. A shiver ran through Matilda's body and she pulled her sweatshirt closer to her.

"You cold, sweetheart?" Steve asked, running his hands up and down her arm.

"A bit yeah, I think I may need another cup of coffee." Holding up her empty mug, she turned to head back into the tower, Steve following her lead.