deaf || sapnap x !nb deaf reader

Start from the beginning

my gaze doesn't break away from the person until a teacher taps them and nods toward the time. they nod, grabbing their belongings and walking hurriedly through the halls, never looking away from the ground.

i tap Alex's shoulder, slowing my walking to talk to him. he follows suit, making eye contact.
"who's that?" i ask, motioning towards the lonely person. after the wiggling of eyebrows and slight teasing, he informs me that they're the new student, and their name is y/n.

i end up telling him that i also saw them at the Mcdonald's this morning.
"they didn't even try and get the money they dropped after i called out to them"
"i'm pretty sure they're deaf. like clinically deaf," Alex informs.

despite being visually shocked, i nod in understanding, talking with Alex all the way to my next class.

my bed has never been more uncomfortable. rocks and boulders themselves would be more comfortable. but what else am i supposed to do at 4:13 pm on a wednesday afternoon other than lay absentmindedly on my bed, staring out the window across the room at the empty house closest to mine?

the birds chirping through the spring air keep me entertained as i watch the neighborhood dogs run around in circles. disrupting me from any mindless thoughts that refused to stick in my brain, was the sound of a car door closing. my eyes shoot to the source of the noise, to be met with the once empty house, with moving trucks in the driveway.

emerging from the truck, was y/n, grabbing a few backpacks and boxes, trudging them inside.

my eyes widen, suddenly energizing me enough to make me stand up abruptly, resulting in dark spots fading my vision for about 5 seconds. by the time the dots dissipate, Y/n is walking through the door, leaving it wide open for her family coming behind her with boxes.

i guess y/n is my neighbour now.

*time skip: about a week*

throughout the last week, i'd spill everything i felt towards y/n to the boys at lunch. the feelings i felt were hard to describe, but one word seemed to sum it all up.

they are like yellow.

they are bright, nice and outgoing, whilst also being underrated and misunderstood.

i've never talked to her, mainly due to the fact k can't speak ASL for shit and i can't talk to pretty people without folding, but living next to them has its advantages.

clay and the rest of the boys think o should grow up and talk to them. but any time my confidence builds up, it drains as soon as i see them.

they make me nervous.

walking to psych class, i catch sight of Y/n. they are walking perpendicular to me, but my feet stop moving and my eyes follow their movements. clay comes up behind me, laying a hand on my shoulder.

"you need to talk to them my man. you never know if you don't take the risk"

i nod, not being able to speak due to adrenaline rushing through my veins. i take one small step forward towards them, but chicken out and stumble over my laces.

i get unwanted attention from random students roaming the halls, but i've yet to see if y/n had to see that yet.

they start looking in my direction, causing adrenaline to force me to throw my body behind a garbage can in order to hide.

clay runs a hand along the back of his neck while the other is rubbing his forehead. i faintly hear an, "amateur" slip from his mouth. i glare up at him, still behind the small garbage can. a shadow darkens my view as i look up and see Y/n hovering over the garbage with a weirded out look laced along their face.