chapter forty five: smile

Before anything, I'm going to apologize for the lack of activity. I really want to continue writing but I've recently joined university the career I'm studying uses up a hell lot of time. So please, be patient with the updates.

No one's pov:

Zeldris was getting suspicious about his brother because one day, Meliodas went out by himself without a word to him which was worrying, then he did again and again for weeks. He discarded something bad going on because the blonde's mood wasn't bad, in fact, he looked slightly happier which made him happier too. Zeldris brushed the thought away knowing that sooner or later Meliodas would explain everything.

The older on his side, after the first talk with Eri, she asked Aizawa for him to go again, when the adult asked Meliodas he agreed without hesitation this time, happy that his presence helped the little girl. After a few times, he earned her trust and although Eri didn't really smile, the life in her eyes meant that she was slowly progressing. One day, Mirio and Midoriya were allowed to go and visit thanks to that same progress, Meliodas and Eri were sharing a little conversation together about silly things when the door slid open.

"Eri!" Said the tall human blonde sending a quick smile to the demon sitting on the bed too.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner" Spoke kindly Midoriya with a smile "Nice to see you too, Meliodas" He finished looking at the demon, the latter smiled back.

"I bought a fruit basquet!" Said Mirio lifting said object "You can eat some if you want, is there a fruit you like? Let me guess! Peach!"

"Apple" Said the girl.

"That's what I thought!" Midoriya sweatdropped and Meliodas laughed "Let's peel it then, since it's an apple" Eri was enjoying her apple when the mood suddenly change.

"All this time I've been thinking... About when you rescued me but I didn't know your name" She said to the green haired "Until I asked Mel, Izu... Izu..." She said trying to remember the name.

"Izuku Midoriya! My hero name is Deku" Said the kid kindly to the girl "Since it's shorter Deku may be easier to remember, yes! I'm Deku!"

"Hero name?" She asked tilting her head to one side, all the while Meliodas decided to stay silent so the two could enjoy their time with Eri.

"It's like a nickname" Midoriya explain.

"Deku..." The green haired nodded "Lemillion, Deku, Mel and... That man with glasses" The humans looked at the demon blonde in a questioning manner, he shook his head signaling that they haven't told her about Nighteye "All of you... Were injured because of me. Because of me you all suffered... I'm sorry" Tears gathered in her eyes making Meliodas immediately react.

"Eri, don't forget. It's not your fault"

"But lemillion lost his power..." The tears fell and she sniffed softly.

"You're holding onto the lies, and just like that guy chose to hurt you, we choose to help and protect you"

"That's right! Everyone fought because the want to see you smile!" Mirio followed Meliodas' attempt to stop her self-loathing. The girl was surprised but her actions called their attention, she made a strange grimace and held her cheeks spreading them weirdly. The humans looked curious trying to understand the reason behind her actions while Meliodas did making a sad face, she lowered her hands to her lap and looked down.

"I'm sorry, how do you smile again?" Screw it! Thought the demon, he decided to forget about the two's presence and just say something from experience to help her.

"Eri" The girl looked at him with her eyes still teary "I didn't know how to either" He smiled brightly and kindly "But here I am, just like with everything else you have to learn, only it'll be a bit harder for you compared to others" They stayed silent, Meliodas searched in his memories the first time he smiled, or at least the first time he remembers.