Lullabies.

"Rae?" 

"I'm here." came a weak response. Alex turned the knob and opened the door, and peeked inside the faintly lit room. He smiled and went straight to a clean,white bed; where a girl about three years younger than him lay. She smiled back at him , and even through the darkness of the surroundings, she glowed in his eyes. 

"I - I've talked to your doctor already." Alex updated her. This was true. Even though the truth stings and cuts like a knife, he loved her so much that he can never lie. 

Even though it's killing him. 

Rae's eyes widened for a while, before she tried to hide everything in a smile. "Are you okay?" she asked. For another second, Alex's eyes seemed to brim with tears. But like her, he had hid it in a forced, tight smile. "It doesn't matter." he answered. 

This part was also true; What will happen is inevitable and they know it. 

The seconds seemed to pass by slowly. Alex didn't know what to say. No matter what happens, he can never comfort her. He can never stop what will happen next. Time is ticking, and he knows that in only in a few moments, everything will be done. 

"Alex?" 

Alex looked up, away from his thoughts. He raised his eyebrows at her, smiling at her in the most gentle way he could give her. 

"I love you." 

Even though those were the words that he wanted to hear from her, it pierced him and he suddenly found it hard to breathe. She was never one to take the initiative, never the one to be sweet. But that's what he liked about her the most. That was enough reason for him to write a song about her because whether she likes it or not, she's Alex Gaskarth's Jasey Rae. 

He refused to reply just yet because 'I love you too' might make him break down.

"I have something for you." he smirked at her, leaving her to open her eyes in excitement. He grabbed his backpack, removing the plastics of strawberries he had bought for her. Upon seeing it, Rae's smile grew wider. Tears started to fill her eyes. "Alex," she managed to breathe out as a drop fell from her cheek. "Yup," Alex smiled proudly as he took them out -- already washed and cut -- in front of her. 

Strawberries were her favorite, and he knew that. For a while, a feeling of happiness filled him as he placed it down, offering his hand to her.

Just like the old days. 

"Come on, stand up. You like strawberries, don't you?" he teased her. More tears fell from her eyes as she shook her head slowly. 

"Alex," she said, her voice low and sad. "I can't eat anymore." 

The truth hit him with a blow. He managed to stop himself from dropping the strawberries, his mouth agape with shock.

She coughed hysterically, slapping him away of his shock. He immediately rushed to her aid, grabbing her. The tears were giving in, and his chest is becoming heavier. She gave a wheeze, her smile was weak as her lips were turning a dead shade of blue. 

With tears falling from his cheek, he managed to choke out. "I love you, too." 

She cried the moment he had said it -- like a magic word that wasn't meant to be said. But it was different. This was different. The moments began to work like an hourglass, and time suddenly slowed between them. She felt her eyelids become heavy, and her body seemed like it stopped functioning. He leaned forward and their eyes locked. Alex could see how her body was deteriorating, how her life was quickly slipping away. The color of her lips had completely gone. She looked as good as dead. 

But to him she was beautiful.

She changed him. 

Rae gave her the weakest smile anyone can ever portray, and he smiled back. The last tear fell from their eyes, like they were one, and Alex leaned closer; their lips met. 

Then, she was gone.

END.