ch9 - jean gets some balls

Depuis le début

Jean was slowly gathering the courage to confess his feelings to Marco for weeks on end but the silent "confirmation" of Armin's feelings was the extra push he needed.

If he could show Armin it wasn't so hard, maybe they'd find a way to tell you. Jean was very aware of your growing situation with Pieck and he was also aware of your nagging feeling that whatever you had with Pieck wasn't something you really wanted.

You were his best friend. You'd confide in him about anything, yet Armin seemed to be a topic you liked keeping to yourself. And he, the hopeless romantic, wanted you to spend your time with someone you were sure of. The something that always felt off, the something you'd never be rid of no matter how long you spent Pieck's presence, was caused by Armin. Jean knew it.

With a newly realized motivation, Jean took a neatly folded piece of paper from his pocket and placed it in front of you.

"What's this?" you questioned, picking it up and unfolding it hesitantly.

"Is that a fucking love letter, Kirstein?" Eren was sitting right next to you. He didn't need to yell, but he did.

"Jesus, Eren. Keep it down maybe," you hushed him as Jean turned a deep scarlet.

Your eyes scanned the letter, messy handwriting scrawled beautiful words across the paper. Eren crinkled his nose as he peered over your shoulder. Armin and Mikasa leaned forward from their side of the table, hoping for a better view.

"'Your eyes are my oasis'? What the fuck does that mean?" You commented with a teasing tone, a grin that Jean was sure made Armin weak etching your skin.

"It's poetic!" Jean justified his own writing.

"It's pathetic. See, I can be a poet too. That rhymed," Eren said, showing a clear detest to the romantic words from the page. "I'm like Edgar Allen Poe."

"You totally are," Armin agreed before slamming Eren's hopes, "Edgar Allen Poe was an emo bitch, just like you."

Eren's jaw dropped as you snorted at the comment. "What's gotten into you today? That was totally out of character for you."

Armin shrugged and took the paper from your hands, making sure to brush his fingers against yours. Heat rushed to your neck at the fleeting contact. You were surprised that he'd even come close to you with the way he'd been avoiding you. 

"I think it's sweet," he said after reading through the letter. Mikasa nodded in agreement with a small smile on her lips.

Jean snatched back the piece of paper and struggled to get his long legs out from under the table. "I'm going in," he stated as he watched Marco leave his table and head towards the microwave at the back of the cafeteria.

"There he goes," you said as Jean strode on the same path Marco followed. You and Eren turned around in your seats to watch, Mikasa scolding you for staring although she and Armin were doing the same.

You watched intently as Jean fumbled with the paper in his hands before handing it to the freckled boy before him.

Eren whistled lowly. "Man has no game." You smacked his chest and told him to be quiet.

Jean stood there awkwardly as Marco's eyebrows shot up at the words on the paper in his hands. Jean looked away bashfully as Marco glanced upwards with a huge grin.

Armin and Mikasa were leaning so far forward you could smell Mikasa's lavender perfume. The four of you observed the scene with watchful eyes. You gripped Eren's arm in anticipation.

Marco tucked the letter into his pocket and the microwave dinged. He ignored the signal and started talking animatedly to Jean, who did nothing but stare at him with wide eyes and a slack jaw.

When Jean found enough words to respond, his wide smile did all the talking you needed. You breathed a sigh of relief as he walked back to your table, a bit of pep in his step.

"Well?" you inquired with a smile that matched his own.

He grinned wider. "I guess I have a boyfriend now."

___

You were happy for Jean, incredibly happy. But when you have to walk alone in the snow to your car because he'd rather ditch you for his new companion, you were less happy.

"Y/n! Wait up!" a shrill voice broke the silence in the parking lot, startling you so bad you nearly dropped your keys. Snapping your head up, you were surprised to see Armin was the one calling your name.

"Armin," you said finally once he stopped right behind your car.

"No Jean?" he asked, eyebrows furrowing.

"Not today," you internally cursed the boy for putting you in a situation you were sure to make awkward. "He's off with Marco."

"Oh," Armin replied shortly, looking down at his dragging foot in the snow.

Sensing the unspoken tension, it was only like you to break it in the worst way possible. "Finally speaking to me again, are you?"

He fixed his gaze on yours fast, seemingly shocked that you would even say anything at all. "I'm sorry," he blurted quickly and looked back down.

You pulled your puffer jacket closer to your body. "I get that I haven't been around as much but please don't let me lose you," you said half-jokingly.

"I'm sorry." It was the only thing he could muster. What kind of a friend was he? Practically ignoring you to finally acknowledging your existence after two long weeks, yeah, he knew you probably weren't his biggest fan.

You sighed, figuring this would be a short-lived conversation. Unlocking your car, Armin finally came up with something to say.

"It feels like we haven't talked in forever." What a stupid thing to say, he thought. But it made you stop and all he needed was your attention. "I know it's my fault. I've been a little down in the dumps lately and I'm not sure why. I do miss talking to you and I just can't figure out why I'd let something I love so much slip through my fingers like that." His face was beginning to heat up from the words that he meant so sincerely. "Friends again?"

You couldn't help but smile. Based on the nervous eyeing and the tiny foot taps he was doing, you could tell he was being genuine. More than that, how could you say no to the boy who's sparked your interest since day one. "Friends always."

_______

word count: 1.6k

WHEW, it's been a bit. i didn't upload last week but i hope y'all enjoy this even if it's late. we're almost at 1k reads and it's a little hard to believe. thank you to everyone who reads, comments, and votes! you are all greatly appreciated!!