۵ Chapter 9 ۵ (The New Version)

Start from the beginning

The walk from the lair back to the main island is relatively short, and so is the walk around the beach back to the shack. Still, it seems that something is trying to slow me down, as I constantly find myself stopping and staring at my feet, or something else around me. The sky is without a cloud and a perfect shade of blue. Well, almost perfect.

What could Eggman gain from talking to me? If he's not trying to gain info on Sonic, then there's really no point to talk with me. His whole tea session was based on nothing. We just talked about anything and everything that came to mind. I know he doesn't exactly have friends, but I doubt that's what this is about. Or could he really try to befriend me? Technically he already kinda has, but... Then again his last statement felt like an attack. There must've been something behind his words that I just didn't pick up on.

The shack is already in my sight as two familiar creatures exit it. One of whom is red and the other one blue. Their direction happens to be the one I'm coming from, so it doesn't take long for us to cross paths.

"Hi," I say to the two of them as I get closer.

"HI," Sonic responds while Knuckles gives me a small wave.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Nothing much. Just heading to Tails'," replies Sonic.

"What's there?" I ask glancing at Knuckles.

"An invention. Hopefully," Sonic tells me. "Knuckles and I've been brainstorming this for a while."

"That we have," Knuckles agrees with him.

I look between the two, "Am I wrong to assume 'a while' means the two hours that I've been gone?"

"That's a ridiculous assumption," says Knuckles.

Sonic agrees with him, "Yeah. In fact, you're an hour and fifty-nine minutes off."

"Ah so it's that kind of idea," I smile.

"Speaking of you being gone, where were you?" Sonic asks.

"Just around the island, trying to not make enemies and stay out of trouble," I tell him.

"And did you?" he questions.

"I would say my mission was very successful," I smile. My peripheral vision focuses on Knuckles whose gaze is down at his feet. Softly, he kicks the sand every now and then, clearly bored and waiting to be let go. "Um, you two should probably go," I say.

"Yeah," Sonic says and turns to Knuckles, "C'mon."

The two start walking to the direction they were heading as I do the same. Thinking about what I said to Sonic 'just around the island' I realize I actually haven't looked around the island that much. It would probably be better for me to actually get to know the area more, and not just the areas we usually hang around. If Sonic were to ever ask where I actually spent my afternoon it would probably be better to show him some other place than the lair of his nemesis. Though, I also should probably tell him about our tea sessions. But do I really? What in this universe makes it my obligation to tell anyone anything? Nothing. I guess it would be more of a moral thing if I did or didn't tell. Though, there's nothing wrong about having tea with Eggman. It's not like I'm helping him or anything. In fact, it would be more morally wrong to not talk with him because he's clearly somewhat lonely.

My feet take me along the beach and toward the direction I haven't really gone to before. It's pretty funny considering the size of the island that I've only stayed around the same few places. There's the shack, Tails' house and workshop, the village center and Eggman's lair. Then there's that one time I visited Amy, or have I been there twice? Maybe I've been there thrice now that I think about it. I visited Stick's that one time and I haven't actually seen where Knuckles lives.