part three. seijoh

word count: 12,858

third person pov.

"Huh? Am I reading things wrong or is Hinata-kun jotted down as a middle blocker?" Taiyu questioned after reading the positions Daichi assigned them for the match against Aoba Jousai

"Huh? Am I reading things wrong or is Hinata-kun jotted down as a middle blocker?" Taiyu questioned after reading the positions Daichi assigned them for the match against Aoba Jousai. It was the next day and Daichi had them all huddled together so he can discuss the current positions for their practice against Aoba Jousai, Taiyu was seated beside Yamaguchi and Tsukishima as they all leaned forward to get a good read on where they were, some having surprised and shocked reactions.

"I want to use Kageyama and Hinata as a set, Tsukishima and Udai are one of the few tall players we have. I want to see how much of a fight we can pull off with Seijou as our opponent." at the mention of their names, Taiyu gave them a thumbs up while they both gave a halfhearted response.

"Kay~" they both trailed off, Taiyu raised a brow followed with a thumb when he noticed Yamaguchi looked down in the dumps, he could just read his mind and guess he was thinking "I'm the only first year who was left out", he snorts a little and pats Yamaguchi on the back, causing the boy to let out a squeak of surprise at the gesture "Aw, don't mind Yamaguchi-kun~ sometimes it's better to be left out, gives you the opportunity to scope out the competition." Yamaguchi knew he was trying to lighten mood so he lifted his head from his knees and gave him a grateful look.

"Thank you, Udai-san." he grins in response, he then snorts a little and points at Hinata.

"It's also better than being given a position where height is everything." at the mention of that, they all look over at Hinata where Tanaka and Hinata had shocked looks on their faces.

"He's right! You mean, you're sticking Hinata in a position where height is important?!"

"Middle blocker... isn't that the same position as that tall jerk Tsukishima?!" Taiyu snorts, Tsukishima glares at him, Takeda ignored them both and pulled out a book that read "Volleyball: How To" on the cover, this caused Taiyu to sweat a little.

"Ah, h-hold on. Can we review the positions and what they mean?"

Setter (S): THE BACKBONE OF A MATCH. HE SETS UP ATTACKS AND TOSSES TNE BALL IN ORDER TO CARRY OUT SPIKES.

Wing Spiker (WS): AN ALL ROUNDER. HE MAINTAINS A BALANCE BETWEEN OFFENCE AND DEFENCE AND IS THE NUCLEUS OF ATTACK.

Middle Blocker (MB): HE STOPS THE OPPONENTS BY BLOCKING IT AND PRIMARILY SCORES POINTS THROUGH QUICKLY ATTACKING. ADDITIONALLY, HE ACTS AS A DECOY TO DRAW IN THE OPPONENTS' BLOCKS.

"Basically like that, right?"

"There's also positions that specialise in defence, but you're okay for now." Kageyama stands to his feet and turns to Hinata.

"You got it, Hinata? You'll be..." with a dramatic pause, he raised his hand and pointed at him "THE ABSOLUTE STRONGEST DECOY!!" that was the absolute dumbest thing Taiyu had ever heard of, his expression said it all as he stared at Hinata's awestruck face.