Chapter Twenty Four | If That One Thing Never Happened

We'd spent close to two hours in the diner, just talking and eating and discussing stupid things and everything in between. Marley stayed the quietest of the bunch, but he began joining into conversation more and more as the day went on. Cori even tried to tease him a little, which he responded with a wry smile. Like he wasn't used to the friendliness; like he was so out of practice at friendly banter he was no longer sure what to do.

I had noticed the sly glances between Archer and Cori, but always when one was looking away. It was almost comical, the level of interest they were displaying, yet trying so hard to hide it away.

Jag, being Jag, was just his usual self. Charming, arrogant, slippery with confidence.

"Hey, why don't we all make a day of it?" Stella suggested once we moved out of the booth, Harlow appearing from out of the kitchen. She still looked pissed off, but when she spotted her brother, her expression lightened.

"What do you mean?" Rose asked, curious.

"That weekend carnival opened yesterday, and I know it won't be as exciting as it was when we were kids, it would still be pretty fun." Stella shrugged as she said it, waiting for the response.

Jag piped up first. "Will there be clowns?"

"I believe so Jag, considering it's a carnival."

"I'm in." Archer nodded, giving Jag a little nudge in the side. "Jag, is too."

"But Archer, I hate clowns."

"Why?"

"My childhood was a lot darker than yours, golden boy."

I laughed at this, and Jag's accompanying childish pout. Glancing over to the counter again, I noticed Marley had sidled over to talk to his sister. Smiling slightly, I returned to the conversation. Rose and Cori were happy to go, and I hadn't been on a ferris wheel in years.

"Marley will come to, he's got a huge love for that shooting rubber duckies game." Jag said as Marley came to stand beside me again. "Don't you big fella?"

"Aim of a sniper." Archer muttered, and I briefly hoped they were referring to video games.

Once we decided on the carnival, we filtered out of the diner and towards the cars. The carnival was set up near the pier, about a twenty minute drive away, Stella, Rose, Cori, Aria, and I piled into Cori's car as the boys got into Archer's truck.

The thought of the carnival lifted my excitement. I'd always loved the ferris wheels, cotton candy, the side-show games and the atmosphere of the day out. Spencer had taken me since I was young, and they'd always given us both fond memories. The last time we'd gone, however, was the year before she started training to become a detective.

"I'm glad the three boys are coming." Aria said after a while of just the radio playing in the car. "It's nice we're hanging out with them."

We all murmured in agreement, falling into easy conversation as Cori parked the car in the large car park near the bustling pier a short time later.

There were people everywhere, the mid afternoon sun beating down, creating a warm glow on my skin. I could see the top of the ferris wheel, the colourful seats filled with people as it slowly moved around in its never-ending circle. Looking to my left, there was more cars filling up spaces, the laughter and sound of happy people filling my ears. To my right, the three boys approached, Archer striding forwards in blue jeans and a white tee that I knew Cori was checking out, his blonde hair short and ruffled. Jag stood on the other side of Marley, his dark eyes standing out against his blue long sleeve. And Marley, between the two of them, messy hair swept back, lightly tanned skin contrasting the dark short sleeve he had covering his upper half.