Still, you wondered why they were keeping you here, what out there was so dangerous they wouldn't let you go. You were confused and scared. Newt looked concerned still as you furrowed your eyebrows.

"Thomas did the same thing as you when he arrived, running that is, but now he's doing good!" 'Newt' tried to soothe you. Thomas could go out there though! Thomas knew what was out there!

Why did Thomas give up?

They knew you couldn't talk. Everyone knew. And it made it just that much worse.

'Newt' put his hand on your shoulder, his other hand tracing circles into the back of your hand as he knelt in front of you. "It's going to be okay," he said. Your lower lip trembled as you stared at him with a scared expression.

A long, low groan and deep rumbling came from behind you, you turned around and covered your ears. Your body shook as you stared beyond the walls. Your breathing and heart rate picked up as you fell to your knees in front of the stone doors. Your ears felt like they were bleeding, being so close to this noise. No, no, no, no, no, you thought. The doors were closing.

With a high-pitched squeal and deep metal clanking noises, the gears began to turn. A gust of wind blew at you with stray leaves and it whipped your hair back. Giant rusty gears forced the stone doors shut. You flinched as the stone doors ground against the grass and the floor of the maze. It was an awful noise. Then, the doors' interlocking joints met, and a boom rang throughout the glade. You stared at it. It terrified you.

You realized why Thomas had given up on trying to leave. You realized why they couldn't let you leave. You would be stuck out there if you had left.

You stared blankly at your hands, unsure of everything. It all seemed blurry now.

"Hey, it's okay," Newt said, and you broke down crying, wondering who had imprisoned you in this merciless place. After coming to the realization that nobody knew, you vowed one day to find them. Newt cradled your shoulders and let you cry into his chest. He soothed you as you let out the stress from what this place was. Thomas and Minho left you and Newt, the other runner had already walked off exhausted. Newt knew you were scared though and he wanted to comfort you. He knew how scary it could be for someone. He held you there for a little while, allowing you wiggle room in case you were uncomfortable.

"It'll be okay," he said, his arms around you. You felt safe from the world here in his arms. Safe from whatever was out there.

(End Flashback)

゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

The sparks of the bonfire lit up the inky starless sky. It was quiet with the exception of low grumbling and creaking coming from beyond the walls that encased this place. You didn't know why, and quite frankly, it scared you. The low loud groans and the shrill clanking noises were nothing like what you thought it would sound like.

The whispering leaves caught in the wind, and the slow crackling of the still-lit bonfire in front of you seemed to peacefully drown it out. You were thankful for that. Today had been quite a day and you didn't need much more of it. You were thinking about calling Thomas to ask him if you could head to bed early before Newt sat down next to you. A clear surprise.

He seemed to try to avoid you earlier. So, you chalked it up to him not wanting to get attached which made sense, and you were exactly right. After you had bonded earlier though, he couldn't seem to stay away from you.