Chapters Fifty-one to Fifty-five

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

THE YOUNG AND THE OLD                                         

                   As he and Mickey P. sat waiting for The Ace Face to bring over their coffees, Jonathan couldn’t help but think about how easy it had been to re-accustom himself with riding a scooter again. 

                   Maybe it was because he’d been forced to confront his fears head on thanks to circumstance, he surmised.  Or maybe it came down to something as simple as like riding a push bike, on account of it being something you just never forgot.  But to go from feelings of near panic attack only yesterday morning, to taking the helm down the M1 today, well it was something of a triumph.  And although aware he should probably be thanking the Scorpion Scooter Rebels for forcing his hand, he knew if it weren’t for his two travel companions insisting he come on this trip in the first place, it would never have happened at all.

                    Not that he felt able to voice the gratitude he now felt as a result, especially as relations between the three of them were still somewhat strained. 

                   Besides, he reasoned.  I suppose there is another more important problem that needs to be dealt with before anything else.

                   As Jonathan looked through to the shop area in search of the source of his dilemma, despite it still being early, he was surprised at just how busy the service station seemed.   However, that still didn’t stop him immediately spotting Olivia through the throng, he resentfully noted.  No doubt, because she was the only one not dressed for travelling. 

                   Instead of sporting a comfy pair of jeans and a casual jacket for her journey like everyone else in the vicinity, she unfortunately appeared more than happy to browse the shelves and rails whilst still dressed in last night’s evening wear.  One of the reasons why, as he continued to watch her, Jonathan was forced to wonder if the girl had any shame at all.  The absurdity of his situation beginning to get him down, even more than it had already.

                   “You know how we all agreed to carry on this journey, regardless?  Keep our word to Malc’s mum?” asked Mickey P.

                   “Yep,” said Jonathan, alas knowing full well where this line of questioning was going.

                   “Well you did realise we were only talking about the three of us, didn’t you?”

                   “Of course I did,” he glumly replied.  “And I tried telling her that as well.  But everything I said just seemed to go in one ear and then straight out the other.”     

                   “You could always try mentioning the fact that you’re married,” suggested The Ace Face, finally landing back at the table with the drinks.

                   However, the last thing Jonathan needed was another holier than thou lecture on the sins of the flesh and although, deep down, he knew The Ace Face was right, he should be informing her of his marital status, he doubted very much, it would make any difference to Olivia anyway.