James stroked a gentle hand through her hair, "sorry, love."

"He's a prick."

"I know," he kissed her forehead.

It was silent for a moment. "Do you think Regulus died?" El asked, her tone casual despite the topic.

He thought for a moment, "i dunno. There's no reports of a body being found."

"Do you really think Death Eaters would kill him then just dump his body in the Thames? His body could be anywhere."

James shifted, "there's no use thinking about it, love, it won't help anything."

She sighed, "i know, but it's been months and i know no more than the day he left."

He wrapped both arms around her, "i don't know what to say. Sorry."

"It's okay," she said while nestling her face in his chest.

***

No body was ever found, no more word of Regulus reached members of The Order. That was it: he was dead and people moved on. Sirius seemed adamant on convincing everyone he was fine, he was louder than usual—even by his standards, and seemed to be drinking and smoking more.

No one in The Order addressed it. Everyone had known someone that had died by now and no one was coping very well, they didn't have time to dwell. As long as they could walk, the missions continued. Even more frequently now, it meant that El and James' days off rarely coincided, one of them would get home just five minutes before the other would leave. The war seemed to be having the same effect on many couples, Sirius and Remus especially. They did not stand as close now, or meet each other's eye as much. It was heartbreaking to see, two people who were so in love with each other, yet so terrible at communication.

November arrived with cold weather and James' attempt to get everyone to smile for Sirius' birthday. He dragged El, Sirius, Remus, Peter, Marisa, Marlene and Dorcas to the Potter Manor and instructed they each brought a broom (Remus tried to refuse, but was overruled or else the teams would be uneven).

The grass in the garden of Potter Manor was crispy with frost and crunched underfoot as they all gathered on the temporary quidditch pitch James had set up. The large field he called a garden had three tall quidditch posts at either end, only a little smaller than the pitch at Hogwarts.

"Okay, Padfoot and myself can be team leaders. It's your birthday so i'll let you have first pick," James instructed as him and Sirius stood in front of the other six.

"El," Sirius said confidently, spudding her fist as she came and stood next to him.

"Hey!" James protested, "fine, i get Remus."

"Be my guest, he's terrible at quidditch," Sirius smirked. "Marlene."

Marlene strode over to her team looking very confident. James then chose Dorcas, Sirius got Peter, and Marisa went to James' team. They had a short discussion of how they were going to play before taking their positions. Each team was playing with one chaser, one keeper, one beater and one seeker. James of course had everything they needed, beaters were given their bats before James released only one bludger, then the snitch, then finally the quaffle, which was lighter and slightly smaller than the one they had used back at Hogwarts.

El and James had been assigned the role of chasers for their respective teams, and both hurtled towards the quaffle, El caught it though James was close on her tail.

She smiled smugly as he pulled up alongside her, "i thought you were meant to be good at quidditch, Bambi."

"Don't get too cocky, Letter, i'm going easy on you here."