The Compromised Duchess 7

Start from the beginning

“Very Good My Lady”

Laurel turned back to her friend. “I`m sorry to cut short our meeting, but a previous engagement...”

“I shall be on my way. I’m sure Father will want to have a word with me.” Amelia said “How about we meet here , I believe Benedict wishes to break the news to the Duchess after supper.”

“I shall look forward to it dearest.” Laurel said and preceded her friend from the room, and descending the great stairs. Lord Giles waited by the front door, and his face lit up in a boyish smile that caused Laurel`s heart to skip, when he saw her.

“Lady Laurel, Lady Amelia, you ladies look absolutely splendid.” He swept off his hat in an elegant bow, as Laurel came to stand by his side.

Lady Amelia inclined her head gracefully in response. “Thank you Lord Giles. You certainly know how to flatter a lady.”

“I try to keep up.”He replied, his eyes twinkling in amusement. “May I have the pleasure of escorting you to your carriage?”

“And risk having Laurel come at me daggers drawn for stealing your attention?” Amelia teased, “I think not.”

Laurel giggled and linked her arm with Giles` “You may help me into your carriage since you seem so eager to play the white knight”

He looked at her and smiled. Amelia was struck by how perfect they seemed together and hoped her friend would find the same happiness she had.

“I would always happily save you from distress My Lady” Lord Giles spoke to Laurel, patting her hand. “You only have to call out for my help”

Laurel stared up at him, lost in the affection that was so obvious in his eyes. The moment lingered on, until Amelia discreetly cleared her throat.

“AHEM! I must be off. Lord Giles, a pleasure to speak with you and I hope we shall have cause to carry on our conversation. Laurel, till dinner.” She gathered up her skirts and stepped outside and was handed into her carriage by a liveried footman.

“Shall we?” Lord Giles led Laurel to his own carriage, an elegant contraption in red and gold, drawn by two magnificent chestnuts.

Laurel allowed herself to be helped into the carriage, the interior of which was just as splendid as the exterior, and sat on the plush seat. Lord Giles paused to give the driver instructions before coming in to seat beside her. Laurel held her breath afraid she would lose her senses if she inhaled his scent, he was so close, so close that his thigh brushed against hers when the carriage moved forward with a slight jerk, and his shoulders rubbed against her own with every movement.

Lord Giles could feel Laurel`s discomfort and he had to suppress a smile. He could feel a stirring in his groin at the close contact and he forced his mind to dwell on other mundane things so as not to embarrass himself and the lady. His plan was working smoothly so far, and it would be only a matter of time, before he would put the second phase into action. He cleared his throat and spoke,

“I hope you are comfortable My Lady?”

Laurel released the breath she had been holding. “I am, thank you. Your carriage is lovely.”

“It is, isn’t it? I had it specially ordered and it cost me a small fortune.” He replied. “But I must say it is certainly worth the effort”

“You’re right, I’m sure.”

The wheels hit a rut and Laurel was thrown against him. He put out an arm to steady her, deliberately brushing against her bosom. He heard the catch of her breath and she quickly pulled away, turning towards the window so he should not see the blush that spread across her porcelain cheeks.