xix. reaping the consequences

Start from the beginning

And yet despite how much Lucy had lost in her life, never had she reacted like John Walker.

She, Bucky, and Sam chased after Walker when he tried to flee the scene, following him into some abandoned warehouse. They were cautious in their steps, unsure if he would try and get violent with them as well.

The blonde man was hunched over on the floor, one hand covering his face while the other tightly gripped the shield. Droplets of crimson red surrounded him and the shield was covered in blood, still dripping with the shame of his actions.

Walker heard their approaching footsteps and finally lifted his head. He straightened up and began calmly walking towards the trio, devoiding his face of any emotion.

Sam was the first to murmur, "Walker."

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good—"

"Stop, Walker."

Walker pulled in a sharp breath through his nose and halted in his steps, turning to them with a hard glare. "What? You saw what happened. You know what I had to do." He ran a hand over his face and Lucy could tell that he was trying to hold back his hysterics. "I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!"

Bucky clenched his jaw and shook his head. "He didn't kill Lemar, John. Don't go down that road. Believe me, it doesn't end well."

"I'm not like you," Walker spat back. "I don't forgive that easily. Not like how you forgave yourself for killing her." He pointed at Lucy.

Bucky's shoulders went stiff but Lucy cut in before he could say anything, "No, you don't get to do that. Stop acting like you know us better than we do, and stop trying to reposition the blame. What you did was wrong and you have to face it now."

Sam intercepted with a hand out before Walker could completely lose it. "Listen, it was in the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened, they may consider your record. We don't want anyone else to get hurt."

Walker said nothing and the tension grew to a point that was nearly suffocating. He was at battle with his own mind.

"John... You gotta give me the shield man."

At Sam's words, a sick smile overcame Walker's face. "Oh," he breathed, shaking his head. "So that's what this is... You almost got me."

Sam closed his eyes in exasperation. "You made a mistake."

Holding his ground, Walker clenched his jaw. "You don't wanna do this."

"Yeah, we do," Bucky insisted, his voice dangerously low.

Bucky dove for him first, sinking his vibranium fist right into the shield that Walker held up. Sam powered up his wings and Lucy grabbed batons from her belt, splaying them out beside herself. As he harshly shoved Bucky back with the shield, Walker twisted and sent a foot straight into Sam's ribs, knocking him to the ground.

Lucy caught the shield before it could hit her, gritting her teeth as she tried pushing Walker back. His force was terrifyingly strong, reminding her that they were now fighting a super-soldier.

A super-soldier who wouldn't hesitate to kill any of them.

Bucky jumped back to his feet and grabbed Walker by the neck, yanking him away from Lucy. The man pulled himself out of Bucky's hold with a hiss, but the interruption only spurred him on further. His actions became frantic as he attacked Bucky, swinging his fists until he finally hit the brunette hard enough to send him to the ground.

Raising his shield, Walker was about to send it straight into Bucky's chest before Lucy came and tackled him away. The two of them fell to the ground in a heap and Walker immediately fought back. Lucy just barely rolled away from his hit, leaving a crack in the ground where his fist intended to meet her head.