The Sound from the Sky

King Ugrasena of Mathura had two children namely Devaki and Kansa. One demoness named Putna was nursing Kansa since his mother died. When Kansa grew as a young man, he had many demon friends. He wanted his sister to marry his human friend Vasudeva.Devaki agreed. Kansa thought he could be the King now but he couldn't. King Ugrasena didn't want Kansa to become the king due to his ruthless behavior. As a result, Kansa put his father in prison and became the King of Mathura.

After Devaki and Vasudeva's marriage, he told the chariot driver," I will drive the chariot for Devaki". He agreed and Kansa went. While taking Devaki and Vasudeva home, he heard a sound from the sky.

It was Akashvani. She told him, "Devaki's 8th child will kill you" and disappeared. Hearing this, Kansa removed his sword to kill Devaki but Vasudeva stopped Kansa and promised to give every child to him.

Kansa did not believe them and imprisoned them too. The first 6 children born to Devaki were killed by Kansa. The 7th child's birth date was very near. Rohini, Vasudeva's first wife, came to meet Devaki on that day. As soon as he was born, Rohini took him to Mother Yashoda's house for safety. He was named Balarama.