Chapter 20

I was cracking up as Liam and I made our way down the center aisle, groups of girls on either side of us. The three 'judges' were at the end of the little passageway, studying our outfits closely. I myself, following the Western theme, had put on a pair of cut-off shorts, tall horse riding boots, and a red plaid shirt tied up so that it revealed my undershirt-covered stomach.

  My hair was up in messy braids and a cowboy hat was atop them, but that wasn't the reason I was laughing. It was Liam, in his crazy but totally adorable outfit. Not quite so Western-looking, unfortunately enough for him. I didn't doubt that the girls would choose him, though.

  He had on a pair of jeans and riding boots, but that's where the list if proper clothing ended. His shirt was a graphic one with the symbol of some band on it, and he wore a gray beanie over his hair. More than anything, Liam looked like a confused skater boy living in Texas. I continued to laugh all the way down the aisle, and right up until we stood before the judges.

  "You guys look great!" the one, known to me as 'Crazy Fan Judge the First', in the middle giggled. All of the surrounding girls, arrived at and filled in the shop a few minutes ago, cheered loudly. I had no idea how the store manager, Aubrey, had managed to control the many fans.

  They waited for my fit of giggles to subside before the judges flashed bright smiles at us, then leaned in to a huddle and began whispering. It actually took me quite a bit longer than I would have liked to admit to realize that they were deciding who won this round. I avoided looking at Liam, knowing that if I did I would start laughing again.

  "Okay!" Aubrey, 'Crazy Fan Judge the Second', said once they had pulled apart, "We've made a couple decisions about the winner and how this whole thing is going to be run. First of all, Lexi totally won this round." There was an overwhelmingly loud rumble as all of the girls burst into giggles at once. 

  Aubrey continued, "Secondly, we want to let you know how this will all play out. There will be two more rounds after this one - swim wear and talent. No bias in either, I promise Alexis!" You would choose swim wear, wouldn't you, I thought bitterly. And talent? Was I supposed to come up with a dance routine in five minutes or something?

  "You can call me Lexi," I smiled. "And I'm sure that there won't be any bias, you Directioners are pretty true to your word." As if. They were true to their word about stalking the boys, not judging them fairly in a swimsuit competition.

  I was still having a lot of fun, though, so I just grinned my thoughts away. Honestly, I didn't care who won. As long as I was spending time with Liam and we were happy, right? There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that he was having a good time too. His smile was bright and honest, like it always was.

  "Round Two, swim wear, begins... Now!" a judging girl that I didn't know shouted. Liam and I ran off toward our sections of the store, knowing that we only had seven minutes to change into the new outfit. I headed straight over to the bathing suits and started searching.

  "Do the yellow one, Lexi!" someone urged. Only then did I remember that I had teenage girls on every side of me. Teenage girls who seemed to be determined to help me win. "No, no, the salmon one with polka dots! It totally goes with your skin tone!" I ripped the hairbands out of my braids and undid them as I studied the bathing suits.

  Seeing that I had already wasted three minutes, I grabbed the suit nearest to me, which happened to be the salmon one, and ran into the dressing room. When I exited it I had two minutes left for accessories.

  Hats, sunglasses, and flip flops flew at me. I grinned, making note to thank the girls later. I tossed on a pair of over sized, white-rimmed glasses that had landed at my feet. "This!" a voice yelped, and a lacy, light blue beach shawl was tossed at me. I threw it over my shoulders and slipped into a pair of white sandals just as a timer went off. On my way back to the aisle, I snatched up a blew hat and set it on my head.